Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As those of you who have been around a while my recall, once a year I go off topic and get involved with fireworks. I started this drift since moving to Oklahoma, because that is what they do here.

Sadly this year because of the concern of spreading coronavirus we are not having anyone over for the 4th, so we have cancelled our fireworks show.

That doesn't mean I wasn't preparing. Here is this years supply.

I will place these in storage with the left overs from previous years.

Next year we are planning a gathering of all our kids- 20 or so of us. Maybe more by then. Could be new wives or a husband or possible some more great grandkids by then. I will set up everything I have left over plus next years order for that. Should be spectacular.

Here is 2017 show.

While setting up one of the 2016 show Jane asked me to explain it. She loves this video. sorry about the sideways video, I have tried to train her.

·
Registered
284 Posts
We watch the local firework shows on the 3rd and 4th (can usually get in two or three on staggered nights). I buy a stash of clearance fireworks on July 5th to save to shoot during a winter snow fall over the lake in front of the house. It's pretty spectacular and there is little fire risk. I do have an unfired swivel cannon that may get dirty this year on the 4th.

·
Super Moderator
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We buy our fireworks via the HOA. We have one person place the order for the entire community. Last years order total was just over $42,000. We-the HOA get the fireworks at wholesale price which in the past is roughly about 1/4 of retail. Some items more some items less, but most about 1/4 of retail. The order is made with a local fireworks distributor here in Oklahoma. The distributor delivers the fireworks to the HOA in their truck. In the past it took one truck to bring the fireworks in. This year they have delivered three truck loads. I'm not sure if they are using a different truck this time. The fireworks can only be ordered by the full case.

Just a side note on the HOA. They have a covenant on fireworks dealing with times and date they may be fired. When you buy a house in this community you have to sign an agreement about the HOA covenants. Oklahoma is fire works state.

The morning after the 4th, there is fireworks debris everywhere. By noon, it is for the most part gone, clean all picked up.

When I need fuse I order from www.cannonfuse.com . The have different kinds of fuse, with different burn rates and applications. I order from them out of loyalty. In 2009 and 2011 we held the Cut Bank Cannon Conventions in MT. Cannonfuse.com showed up and donated to the first meet and donated to the second. Of course there fuse is good for cannon shooting. Cannonfuse.com is in MT.

For electronic fuse igniters, ignition systems, and mortar tube plugs I use www.pyroboom.com . I choose them because they had what i need, and were friendly and responsive to questions. They have been real helpful.

·
Super Moderator
16,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like when the mortar was fired, unburned powder landed in the grass and burst into flame.:tango_face_surprise

Zulu
No that is not correct.

I sneezed while pouring the powder down the funnel and some powder spilled on the ground...

It was it was smoldering pulverized hog pellets that ignited the spilled powder and burned the grass. Left little burn marks on the mortar bed also.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
No that is not correct.

I sneezed while pouring the powder down the funnel and some powder spilled on the ground...

It was it was smoldering pulverized hog pellets that ignited the spilled powder and burned the grass. Left little burn marks on the mortar bed also.

They sure "smoldered" extremely quickly.:tango_face_surprise
Zulu

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have leftovers from the new year 2020, that I planned to use on the 4th of July. I will use all next year with my friends and we will make day at night with our fire works..

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Down here in the Land O Death :tango_face_wink: we lit it up pretty good !
Some rockets , but Im leery about them here . There is not much to burn most places , but if a bottle rocket burst anywheres
near a desert bush .... :eek:

Some firecrackers , sparklers , with snap things for the Grandkids and .... Thunder Mugs ...... ! :tango_face_grin::tango_face_devil:

Only three GOOD ONES though , that was enough for where I live now , my wife says . :tango_face_surprise Kablam !
I only shot the thunder mug Little One because the Big One would have been too much , Way !

I'd like to post pics of them for the new members , but I don't know how any more .

Stay cool .....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts