Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 year old son has been begging to use the Handi 45/70 this year. Well I let him last night and he ended up with a small 100 lb doe standing broadside to his stand at 50 yards. He hit it through the shoulders and it hobbled away into the brush. As it crossed his next shooting lane he hit it again and it was game over.

I was amazed that it wasn't a "Bang flop" on the first shot through the shoulders. It wasn't a high shoulder hit either, the wound channel crossed both lungs. Got some crap in camp for it taking two shots from that "cannon" to take down that little doe.

The load he was shooting was a 300 gr Hornady XTP running a cronographed 2300 fps.

LM

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
petemi said:
Great to see a kid do that :D ;D ;)

He must be a good size kid. How's his shoulder this morning? Better watch him, he's apt to grow up like Tyler.

Pete
He's not a real big kid but he is tough. He wrestled 112lbs last year on varsity as an 8th grader and had a .500 record so no doubt he is tough. He is a bit bigger this year at darn near 140 lbs and he said he didn't even feel the kick.

He told me that he "really likes that gun" almost like he wants it to be his now....HMMMM

LM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts