Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thanksgiving day a hunter was shot in Otsego County. He was not a local; nor was the person who shot him. The shooter had just hit a buck and took the second shot as the deer ran. The second shot hit the other hunter. They were only about 150' apart; from different hunting parties, and neither had any blaze orange. Both were dressed in FULL CAMO!!!!! IMHO I think it is time we have blaze orange law for firearms deer season; early bear, and muzzleloader seasons.

Update on fatal shooting last week. Took place in the town of Minden in Montgomery County and a grandson did shoot his grandfather.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
Although I am generally against laws that try to protect us from ourselves, I agree with mandatory blaze orange, but only during big game season. The above incident shows the foolishness of wearing full camo: other hunters can't see you! With the availability of camo orange available, we have the dual benefits of having a pattern that breaks up our appearance while making us more visible to other hunters.

I have actually had another hunter tell me I was wrong because if I couldn't see him I couldn't shoot him! The above incident proves that wrong, and should be used whenever that argument comes up. Another argument is that the hunters are from the same party and they all know where the others are. I suppose that they all stay in one place and do not move around at all.

Much of my clothing and accessories are camo, but I wear a camo orange vest over it and wear a orange hat. I have seen a hunter wearing an orange hat about 1/2 mile away moving up a brush-covered hillside. I knew immediately what it was, deer do not wear blaze orange!

·
Registered
862 Posts
We have the blaze orange requirement here in Arkansas but some of the accident prone folks just fall out of their tree stands. One had a restraint but died from the constriction and hanging in the tree for several hours. I have seen people in the woods with their camo on during gun season and I question their intelligence. They may be the ones falling out of the tree stands. I haven't heard of any fatalities from gun shots this year.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I'm all for a blaze orange law during any firearm (rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader) big game season. In fact we have a blaze orange rule at our hunting camp. If you're hunting with a firearm or are going to be in the woods for any other reason while someone else is hunting with one, you have to wear at least a blaze orange vest. If you don't wear one, you don't hunt or go in the woods, simple as that.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I was surprised to find out a few years back while hunting in shotgun county I came across a hunter in full camo:I have to say when he moved a few feet from me he scared the **** out of me I asked him what the **** are you doing in the woods during deer gun season with out any red or orange on or a least a hat :He stated it was not required by law to wear orange in shotgun area.I always thought orange vest was a must. maybe slugs don't kill ??
I hunt PA and you must have 250 square " of orange and a hat otherwise the fine is $250.00 and when Pa bow season overrides the turkey season you must wear orange to your stand and place it at the base of a tree near you when bowhunting.
I myself even when it M/L seson only I still wear a least a hat my life is more important then shooting a deer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The funny part is in NY where blaze orange is not mandatory, we have fewer shootings per hunter than states with a mandatory orange law have. We are one of the safest states in the country. In a state where doe permits are so prevelent all it will do is not orange shoot. What about the people in the woods not deer hunting like maybe bird hunting or just walking their dog. Every incident is a tragedy, dont get me wrong but a new law will not fix it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
what about the guy who got shot the day before gun season opened in the southern tier. He was wearing an orange knit cap and was shot. I suppose that was because they were hunting illegally the day before season opened.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
I like the blaze orange so I know where the other guys are and so they know where I am. If I come upon a guy I will go over a hill or something so there's some kind of backstop between me and him. I hunt in Wisconsin for rifle season and this year a friend of the family's son was shot by his own grandfather. 18 years old and sitting in his tree stand freezing so he covered himself with a brown and white blanket and walked out to the car to warm up. He covered all his blaze with that blanket and when the old man saw the brown and white moving through the trees he shot thinking it was a deer.

Can you imagine how this guy feels? I don't think I could live with myself after that. I'll put up with the blaze laws.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am sure the guys feels horrible. However he broke a cardinal rule of knowing your target and well beyond. He thougt it was a deer he didnt know it was a deer. Had he waited to positively identify his target he would not have shot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
as hunters we are responsible for our actions. We can not blame the guy who gets shot because he wasnt wearing a certain color to make it easier for us. The bottom line is a firearm was pointed at andthe trigger was pulled on something we werent sure what we were shooting at unless we are cold blooded killers and intended to kill a person.

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
honestly that's how I saw it too at first, maybe the law is to blame on some level. He was expecting anything human to be orange so when he saw the brown he figured it had to be a deer. I'm not him thank goodness so I can't even begin to think what went through his head. All I know is I like the law, I can see another hunter from a long way off and know it is unsafe to shoot in a certain direction or be in a certain area. Also it's a lot harder to ruin another person's hunt when you can see from a 1/4 mile off where that person is and avoid him.

I like to think of myself as a safe and ethical hunter but everyone knows it doesn't always go the way it should. I shot a nine pointer this weekend in the rump because it decided to start running just as I squeezed the trigger. I had to track it a 1/4 of a mile through the woods and put another round in it to put it down. I guess where I'm going with this is it doesn't always go picture perfect no matter how conscientious we try to be.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I don't know what to say I myself before pulling the trigger always have a few items on mind
BACKSTOP BEYOND THE DEER:
I NEVER SHOT MORE THEN ONE ROUND AT A DEER THE LAST 40 PLUS YEARS
I MAKE THE FIRST SHOT COUNT OR LET THE DEER WALK
I WONDER WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE GUYS SHOOTING BANG,BANG,BANG, IT TELLS ME HE MISSED THE DEER OR WOUNDED IT
I LOVE THE GUY WHO ONLY GOES TO THE RANGE ONE TIME A YEAR OR JUST BUYS A NEW GUN AND GOES HUNTING
I THINK I LOST 2 DEER IN 40 PLUS YEARS ONE WITH HE BOW AND ONE WITH THE GUN

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am not saying an accident cant happen I am saying we cant blame the guy who got shot because he was not wearing orange. The guy with the gun is responsible no one else. The first thing always reported is the fact no orange was worn. Wanna stop deer hunting accidents, eliminate doe permits during rifle season. If you have to look for antlers as well as for a deer less shooting would take place. I lived in the northern zone for years and hunted in bucks only there for years. A shooting was very rare. But now they have doe permits and special seasons with a bow and muzzleloader where it is either sex. The first 3 weekends there to include early muzzleloading someone was shot. One guy in the back and the guy who shot him said stay here I will get help and never rerturned. The second guy shot his boss anbd the guy doing the shooting was making a drive and shooting at deer and shooting to make deer run. The pattern I see here has nothing to do with what color they were wearing it had to do with idiots carying a gun and one was a convicted felon who had no legal right to be carrying a gun I just cant get on board with saying well if they wore orange they would not have gotten shot. One was wearing orange and got shot and they were hunting illegally with guns the day befor eseason opened in the southern tier. Too many have the mind set hey there is movement I have a doe permit bang oops. Well if the person would have had orange on I would have seen them and not shot them. ummm NO if you had identified your target before shooting you would not have shot them. I hunt state land with the same group of guys and gals for the past 24 years. I would not hesitate to hunt in carhart head to toe with these guys because I trust them to know what they are shooting. We make drives also.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
bulzaye, you've said it's not the person that gets shots fault, it's the shooters fault. And directly speaking you're right. Indirectly however, we as people have to do as much as possible to protect ourselves no matter what we do. Wearing blaze orange while hunting is like wearing a seat belt while drive or riding in a vehicle. Seat belts don't always work, but more often then not they do. Same with wearing blaze orange while hunting. It may not always work, but more often then not it will. We don't have any control over what other people do. Just because you and I identify our deer (or any game we hunt for that matter) and what is behind it before we shoot, doesn't mean everyone else does.....and that's the problem.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Im w/ Bullzaye on this one. There are (probably lots of) folks carrying firearms in the woods that have no business doing so. What ever happened to being sure of your target,? and placing a bullet properly in a game animal? Brown blanket or not, deer do not walk on their hind legs and in no way, shape or form resemble a human walking with a blanket over them, or in the very least you cannot see enough of the "possible" target to identify it as a deer or a human.

I have a friend who's wife was shot during hunting season while she sat next to a campfire in camp, next to a tent and a jeep. Her fault? ...does this point to the need for another law?

Sounds to me like the initial example was purely an accident. A person hit when another was shooting at a deer, and in this case perhaps if the victim was wearing blaze orange it would not have happened, but I wouldn't bet on it. A friend of mine was hunting on Douglas Island, next to Juneau. He was shot thru the pelvis by a deer hunter using a scoped 30/06 who thought he was a deer. Distance, about 50 yards. The odd thing is the bullet entered through the blaze orange jacket my friend was wearing.

My 2cents. Silvertp

·
Registered
222 Posts
New York hunter I agree we have no control over the other morons in the woods. However if they are that bad, regardless of whether I had on orange or not my life is in jeopardy. I have heard tales of people having bullets shot over their head while sitting in blaze orange. If you round a corner in your vehicle too fast lose control and hit another vehicle is it the other guys fault because he didnt have his headlights on? Look at 99.9 percent of all accidents, the shooter states I thought it was a deer. You do not think it is a deer, you know it is a deer before you even lift the gun much less shoot. Regardless of whether the person who gets shot is wearing blaze orange or a FLASHING RED LIGHT on a hat, people will get shot. Do a google search on it and see how high the percentages of people get shot in mandatory blaze orange states compareds to NY then try to logically tell me it will work better. All it will do is train pplnot orange it is an animal bang.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
If I get shot while wearing blaze orange, the shooter will be charged with manslaughter, or at least someone will find me easier.

I wouldn't shoot at a deer if I saw a patch of orange beyond it. I will if I don't see orange. So the camo'd guy on the other side could end up being on the receiving end of a bullet. Old-fashioned red/black or green/black wool coats are little better if they are in shadows.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
bulzaye said:
Do a google search on it and see how high the percentages of people get shot in mandatory blaze orange states compareds to NY then try to logically tell me it will work better. All it will do is train pplnot orange it is an animal bang.
Perhaps hunters in other states are more careless then hunters in NY state or maybe they have more hunters in those states that's why they have more accidents, I have no idea. I will logically tell you that wearing blaze orange in safer then not wearing it. I know that when I'm doing a drive and I look over 50 to 100 yards in thick woods and can see my buddy from his waist to his shoulders because he has a blaze orange vest on and I cannot see him from the waist down because he has blue or camo colored jeans on that blaze orange works. I'm wearing it, everyone that hunts in our camp is wearing it and I would have no problem at all if they made it a law. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can't believe that some hunters would even consider hunting during gun season without a good amount of blaze orange on whether it's law or not although I see no reason why it shouldn't be a law. These folks really must trust their fellow man a great deal, a heck of a lot more than I ever will this I can assure you! Sure, one could get shot even with the blaze on, but no one will tell me that a hunter is not way more visible with it on compared to one dressed in camo. It's stupid to think that a law mandating it would be more harmful. Why do they put safeties on guns then? Sure, accidents happen with or without safeties, but I am sure we would have had even more gun accidents if they had never been put on guns. Any added measure of safety can save us from those who don't use there heads and there are probably more out there that don't, than do!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
First of all I said per hunters so the number of hunters per state is figured in. I also never said tha I didnt wear orange. I am against it becoming a law for 2 reasons

1. We will lose hunters and our numers are declining rapidly now. I live in an area where there are many amish who will tell you they will stop hunting if it becomes mandatory. Less hunters less money spent. You will aslo lose others just by the principle.

2. as stated by me earlier it will cause hunters to be more careless with movement no orange must be a deer and bang. I mean it was stated that the guy shot gis grandson who was wearing a brown and white blanket walking through the woods. I never saw a deer walking upright no matter. Fast forward the law is mandatory blaze for hunters. There is a guy walking through the brush looking for his beagle who got away there is broen movement in the brush must be a deer I have a doe permit bang oops. That guy was not hunting so he was not wearing orange and got shot. Target identification is the problem not the color of what you wear. If I was in the woods and someone was close enough to me to shoot me if camo whern they were elgitimately shooting at a deer between us, you can bet he will know I am there when I speak or make my presence known. I was a big opponent to safety belts and helmet laws too. We do not need laws to protect the stupid. If someone shoots me in camo they are going to be charged with manslaughter also. There is no such thing as a hunting accident anymore.

I have taught the hunters safety course for 25 years or so. I have never had anyone in my class get a certificate if I did not know they were going to be safe simple as that and I have failed a few just for that reason even if they got a perfect score on the test. My guess would be others are not as conscientious as I and others I know, because it is clearly obvious that when they shoot someone or themselves they are not safe and should not be hunting simple as that, no matter what color they wear or what color I wear

1 - 20 of 38 Posts