Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a rifle in the 270wsm. Have used an A-bolt in 7mag for about 15+ yrs now, has always performed well. Its easy to buy the brand you already know. I like the synthetic stalk for hard hunting, dont feel bad about the scratches. My question is, should I be giving another brand a hard look? I know a lot of it is personal preference, I would love another A-bolt if it performed like the one I have, (1" all day)but not sure if this is the norm for A-bolts or if I just got lucky with my first one.? I dont even mind paying more if it guarantees me a great shooter.? Is the A-bolt a good place to put my money, or is there something MUCH better out there without going custom? I do reload, so the Boss is interesting.

Thanks for any input
chris

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I like to stick to what works, but I do have a bunch of different rifles. So I get what interests me at the time. I have Sako, Tikka, Shiloh Sharps, Browning A Bolt, Marlin and a few others. If it works good I keep it, if I have problems or I just don't like it, I get rid of it. I don't get attached to my guns. :D

But a Browning A bolt is a very good rifle in my opinion. I love mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would have to recommend a Tikka. I have a couple of them and they are excellent rifles. They should be around the same price as the browning, and are guaranteed to shoot a 1" group. This way you are guaranteed the kind of performance that you expect.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
blittle2003, I have to agree. My Tikka in 300 Win Mag is a great shooter. But I also get great performance from my other rifles. Like I posted, if I can't get my rifles to shoot accurately I get rid of them. :D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have the 270 WSM in a ABolt. It didn't get the groups I liked. Now, understand I am a nut when it comes to stacking bullets. For most it is a fine shooter but for me I like seeing ONE HOLE at 100 yards. Very few factory guns can and will do this. I got right at 1-1/4 inch groups but had a smith put a new crown and I put a spring kit in and got it down to about 3/4 inch.

I have other Abolts and I do like my Brownings. However, saying that my best gun out of the box is a Sako Finnlight in 270. This gun from the day it came out of the box will put 5 shots in ONE BIG HOLE at 100 yards. I didn't do a thing to it but shoot it. It's now my number one gun. I also have a Tikka in 30-06 that a fine shooter too.

If you have your heart on a Browning the bottom line is I don't think it will disappoint.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No reason to switch unless you just want something different. I have several brands and I am admittedly one that does get attached to each of my rifles. My stalker is a lightweight and the thin barrel made it harder to see which ammo it liked best BUT I got good groups from all ammo if I didn't blaze away and heat it up. I just finally settled on what I think it likes best and it is overjoyingly accurate with it. Comparitively, A-bolts have some features that can make it more attractive than other rifles. Like: The trigger is very easy to adjust - okay so is the Tikka's but nevertheless..., the bolt face on the A-bolt has that nice ergonomic slant that fits a palm beatifully plus the bolt lift is only 60 degrees which makes it fast cycling and gives more room for your hand to stay clear of the scope, the barrels are bedded at the recoil lug (admittedly maybe not comparable to a well done custom bedding but.....). Pesonally I always liked the feel of the Browning stocs to but perhaps that is a fit issue. The one thing I think is realistically much better on the Browning (vs. the Tikka) is the magazine. Both are detachable but I can see myself losing the Tikka one. It sort of clicks halfway in and can lead one to believe it is locked when in reality it needs another push and a second "click" to be fully in place. That is probably a little nitpicking but try one and see what I mean. Conversely the A-bolt has the neatest system that eliminates the gripes others have with detachable mags by allowing it to be clipped onto the floorplate - the floor plate that keeps it nice and snug and enclosed inside. The Browning uses an old fashioned type metal box magazine and the Tikka's is a featherwright plastic thing that hardly feels like it belongs on a high powered rifle - though I am sure Tikka owners will like it for its light weight. Does it mean a hill of bean -no! In truth, nothing I mentioned would stop me buying a Tikka but I want one just because I don't already have one and have now handled enough of those oddly checkered stocks to start feeling more natural holding one. I just wanted to reinforce your notion that there is no reason not to buy a nother A-bolt if you are comfortable with them and to remind what there is to like about 'em. From what I have seen lately around my neck of the woods the Browning prices are a lot more competetive than what they used to be too.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'd buy a rifle that I was familiar with. Personally(my opinion!),I'd not buy the 270 WSM. I've had rather dismal results with an A bolt that my wife bought in 243wssm.
The tried and true "regular calibers" have done well for quite some time. The Short,Fat ones do well but do not justify the prices for ammo.

HWD

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree. The 270 is close enough to the 7mag you already own. The 270wssm would be even less distinguishable. The 25 wssm would be more intriguing (to me) if you wanted to go the short fat route but, again what is the point, with 25-06's around? Not to get too side tracked on caliber preference. One thing I noticed about my A-bolt at the range was that it was different than my remington and my Cz when loading for single shots. The A-bolt requires me to push the single cartridge (when loading from the top) into the magazine before it will feed. It takes no finesse- you can just jam it in and it will feed flawlessly. Better than the other two. The other thing I always mention to A-bolt owners is I wanted an even lighter trigger pull than I could adjust with the factory spring. I got a set of two Timney replacement springs from Midway and swapped it out in about 60 seconds. Cost was about $10 and if I can do it BELIEVE me so can you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trigger spring

My 7mm A-bolt is about 10 yrs old or so, can the trigger spring on the older ones be swapped out just as easy? If so, is there any info posted anywhere on how to do this? I would love to make an adjustment to my 7mm.?

chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
ca dunn, I looked at Midway and found the springs- they were a bit more than I paid but still beats paying a smith (mine wanted to replace the whole trigger for >$200)- Under $20 for the pair, one is a 2lb and the other a 3lb. I put the 2lb in and it is a very light pull -I am used to it and love it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/222337

I sent you a PM with some instructions a nice guy sent me before I did mine. Seriously dude, you are looking at about 2 minutes start to finish. I did not see anywhere that the springs differentiated between the A-bolt and A-bolt II so I assume it will work just fine. I don't know when my A-bolt was made, it is a 260 and I know they only made them for a short while a few years back. Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Although I've owned and enjoyed several Browning shotguns, I've only owned one Browning rifle, a Micro-medallion in .308Win. It's a cute little rascal, but I do wish it were a tad heavier. It has a short, thin 20" barrel and weighs 6.0lbs. Boy, does it ever have a kick. Mind you it wouldn't be bad hunting since we rarely feel recoil when shooting at an animal, but at the bench it's fierce. The forend looks like I used it for fungo ball practice from jumping clear of the cradle of my front rest. I put a Pachmyer Decelerator pad on it, and that helps. At least I can keep it in the rest now. It shoots fairly well, groups are about an inch (5 at 100yds). I don't think that's bad for such a light, short barreled rifle. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts