Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of accuracy is common with the scoped 22 mag barrels , say at 25 or 50 yards or even farther out? I have a factory 10" mag barrel that I am going to try out with a 5X Burris LER with PA. I have a pretty large assortment of 22 mag ammo as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How ironic. I have a 5X PA Burris on my 22 WRM. I have a Super 14 barrel and it shoots exceptionally well. I find I can get 1/2" groups at 50 yards with CCI TNT ammo. I took out a bunch of prairie dogs last summer with that set up.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have been playing with one I picked up on a trade and have been pleasantly surprised. I have been getting 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the CCI Maxi-Mags (HP's) and with the Remington Premeir (V-Max bullet). I figured on selling this barrel but have changed my mind since it shoots so good and they are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My 10" 22 Mag is set up just like my deer barrel, with a Nikon 2X scope. It will shoot 1" groups at 50 meters and 1 1/2" at 100 meters from the bench.
I use the Winchester 40 gr JHP ammo.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies - sounds like the 22 mag in the Contender is capable of great accuracy! I plan to shoot it this weekend , hopefully I will be able to come close to what some of the others here have achieved with their 22 mags.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Gotta agree,
I bought a stainless custom shop 12 inch barrel just to get the scope and now won't part with the barrel, shoots great with most ammo, especially likes the Winchester jhps.

regards,
graycg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again , thanks to all who responded! Have to say I was very pleased with my initial range results with the 10" 22 mag! I am borrowing it at the moment , I think it is time to make an offer on it!

It was late in the day so I did not get to shoot much. I sighted in and shot groups at 25 yards to start. My 5 shot benchrest group results measured by dial caliper edge to edge and subtracting bullet diameter:

.457" Winchester FMJ
.397" Federal Premium 30gr Sierra JHP
.194" Federal Premium 30gr Sierra JHP
.400" CCI Maxi-Mag FMJ
.273" CCI Maxi-Mag FMJ

Before heading out I decided to try at 50 yards. I used the CCI Maxi-Mag and shot .610" for 5 shots. You guys are right - the 22 mag in a Contender is capable of great accuracy! This barrel is going to give my 22lr match TC barrels a run for their money!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts