Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced good or bad service from winchester backing up their firearms which had problems?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Win Service

I had to have them adjust an ejector on a new, never fired M70 Classic 30-06 a few years ago. It was shaving brass off of the casings as they were ejected, to the point flecks of brass were found in the chamber.

They were difficult to get a hold of (overall communication was poor), and they did have a few problems in keeping track of my firearm. They did address the problem, though, and the firearm works flawlessly. I have no problems with it's accuracy either.

I have a new 7mm WSM Featherweight that has a milder version of the same problem. Because I have the scope installed and sighted in and the hassle of having to ship a firearm via UPS, I'm just going to put up with it;
I haven't found particles of brass in the chamber, just scratches on the cases.

If you have a problem, call the service number and send the rifle back to them. Include a letter with the gun, and tape one in an envelope on the outside of the package. Include the serial number. Insure it and make sure you have an accurate tracking number.

BTW, I've also had to do this with a Lyman Great Plains Rifle 54 cal. percussion kit. I have never had a significant problem with either company resolving the issues to my satisfaction. I do wish that they would do a better job of letting you know what the problem is, or was.
That would be my only complaint.

Good luck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
any experiences with winchester service dep

I bought a new featherweight in 6.5X55 swede. The rifle would not extract cases - the shells would fall free from the extractor and lay on top of the next round or the follower. After I tried tuning the extractor, and replacing it twice, with no better results, I sent it off to Winchester. It was promptly returned with a new magazine follower and a new extractor - neither of which fixed the problem ( I suspect a tolerance stack issue with the way the bolt face was machined). Anyway, they have a quick turnaround time, but the problem was not resolved. I have since sold the rifle, as it irritated me every time I looked at it.

HTH, Tom

·
Registered
356 Posts

IMHO Winchester's customer service SUCKS. Office partner has a newer Model 70; brought it to work one day, slung it over his shoulder to come in the building and all of a sudden it wasn't there! Sling stud screws into a stupid receptacle that is glued in, glue failed, barrel bent, gun beat up. Smith confirmed barrel was bent.....we shot it, went from a 3/4 moa to a shotgun at the range. I told him not to waste his time with Winchester but he said he'd give them a chance. After several weeks we called, it was sitting there and nothing had been done to it. Gun came back WITH bent barrel, ruined crown, gouges, dings, scratches, and the receptacle GLUED in again....complete with a "test target" showing what a nice rifle it was. :roll: What a bunch of idiots. Smith actually straightened the barrel, recrowned, bedded, bead blasted the gun, cleaned it up, and put a retainer IN the stock for the screw and epoxied the **** out of it (all for $100).

You buy it you own it..........

RR

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts

gunpilot - I have a big bore 444 that started life as a black shadow. It broke before I even got it to the range and went back to Winchester twice. I think this particular rifle was at the butt end of the production cycle for those particular guns. Anywho, once I got it back the second time she worked alright but was a bit gritty. I converted it to a tradional carbine with a pistol grip stock and some nice factory wood and she looks super. Shoots very accurately after firelapping the micro-groove barrel, and after a hundred rounds is very, very smooth.

I dunno, it took a bunch of work to get it like this and with the two M94s in 30-30 and 3 big bores in 444 I think I have enough levers to last me for a while. My 1970 vintage M70 in 06 has never had a problem. Mikey.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

I bought a new M70 coyote when they first came out. A total piece of crap. Took six months for them to replace it and the second one wasn't much better. Got rid of it (at a huge loss) and replaced it with a 700 VS. No more Winchesters for me. KN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts