Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start sending off orders this summer for lures, traps, and other supplies. Any one got a lure they have good success with that they will share. Lures for canines, *****, rat, mink, and beaver are what I need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
do you mean that we make ? if so i raelly like my fish oil, its really strong and i cough some ***** with it this year.

if you talking about buying some i really like T-K-O its a food gland call for fox but ive never got a fox but i really like it for *****. Blackies Blend makes it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
stef' lures are as good as any around. ProCoon is perhaps the loudest, longest lasting **** lure ever on the market.

For canines, Cachottier and XLDC are two outstanding lures- used by coyote men in all corners of the US and Canada.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like Rickard's fox food lure;it works for canines and *****(REAL well).Fish oil works well (and cheap!)As for rats, I'm not certain lure improves my catch.Also, skunky calls are great cold weather land trapping.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I like Fur Country lures Home Brew(coyote&fox),Doublecross Bait(canines)Bonanza(canines,bobcats&mink) his coyote gland is exceptional.Fuller Laugemans Nelson formula Wolfers Pack(Canines) and gland lure. Russ Carmens Canine Call,Bait and Gland lure have been consist producers for me for a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you don't have Austin Passamonte's book High-Volume **** Trapping I recomend it, he has some good homeade **** lures. I tried them this year and had real good luck. I also tried some called Hard core. This was my first year Trapping and I know I would not have had such luck with out reading this book.
Good luck and have a safe trapping season.

·
Registered
421 Posts
favorite baits & lures

Blackies Blend, Lenons, Tim Caven's, and Fur Country are all makers of my favorite lures & baits, and not necessarily in that order either.
I go through a lot of summer-caught fish for coyotes & *****. (I catch it all for free and freeze it in chunks).
jim-NE

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
lures

I don't trap as much as years ago, but , when I was doing it regular I'd use fish parts caught in the summer months. Anythings leftover when cleaning fish was put in babyfood jars and buryed in the back yard till just before trapping season. Mind you don't open till your ready to make the set. Good for **** and such.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's a little advice on lure buying. When purchasing lures for the first time stick with lures that have stood the test of time and are proven. Lures that are not proven don't stand the test of time and disappear from the market in a few years.

It is my opinion that brand new on the market lures and homemade lures are best left in the hands of expirenced trappers who understand and know how lures are supposed to work.

Remember no lure, no matter how good, is going to make a poor trapper great. Good catches always depend on good set location and proper set construction. No lure is a miracle worker. The lure is just a tool or aid to draw the animal the last few feet into your trap and/or allay suspicion.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Excellent post Old ****! Novice trappers many times believe that lures are used to call animals for long distances, compensating for poor location and lack of location research. As you say, the criteria for determining a good lure from a poor or marginal lure is whether it will allay suspicion and entice a wary canine to make those final critical steps. The best lures will also generally not compensate for unnatural looking set appearance, unclean traps, excess human scent, crouded guiding, etc. Trappers must do their part to learn the imortant factors to success, then an outstanding lure is the icing on the cake. Ace

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Answering these types of questions (who's is best) is always problematic. Among the responses one receives is a list, that would appear to have been already, available from any supply house catalogue. Every answer is sincere.

My advice is to reread the "Old one's" posts (the two directly preceeding this one). Take note of the lures recomended above by others. Armed with this food for thought, settle on a plan for luring, e.g., for K-9s are you going to use three lures of different types (food, Gland, and curiousity) or are you going to try three different curiosity / call lures from different makers or some other better way. I don't think one approach is necessarily better than the other, but have a plan. Maybe purchase a small bottle of each to start the season OR run a test line before the season. Practice making sets complete with everything but a trap. Decide on the precise location for your trap in your mind or make a sketch. Revisit your line and evaluate the responses. Doing this you will get a bunch of valuble experience first hand. Next season you'll be ready to go.

I would caution you to do this way prior to season, remove your scent sticks from the area and remember to take into consideration the seasonal differences (temp, moisture, numbers of animals and their age ratio, etc.) that can effect your observations.

A reasonably good lure for you to settle on will preform, comparatively, well anytime. Those that you try that seem not so good can be used as a change up late season and be reevaluated then. The following season you will have your own work horse lures to use to comapre a few more new ones. With experience, you will know which work best for you.

I know I didn't answer your post directly and that is because I really don't know what will work best for you. Also, remember you are going after a ride range of critters all at once. This fact alone will cause you to put more into the process before you get a good handle on things

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lures

I agree with the "Old ****". It is not the lure that makes the difference, it is the placement of sets. I love walking streams and just look for blind sets for water trapping because you dont need lure.

You have to think like an animal and would you go to something that isn't normal if your life depended on it. I think not and someone made the point to do your lure testing well before season and truer words were never spoken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.