Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have paper patched in the normal fashion, I also have patched using 1 in. wide teflon tape, freezer tape and computer labels as Veral has done. I recently came across a neat looking item, a paper tape made by "post it" with their low grip glue. I have yet to buy a roll but this looks worthy of extensive tests unless another of you have tried it? It has a very good feel, I have a small piece I need to measure thickness. Any of you done any experimenting??? JB

·
Registered
70 Posts
JB.........
I haven't seen the paper tape you speak of but I'm wondering how your experiments with freezer tape and computer labels worked out....I just rolled a few with freezer tape tonight to give a try if it ever stops raining around here. :(

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have not done any experimenting with different papers/jacket materials. What are you aiming to accomplish? Easier rolling? Better accuracy?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, ease of application with results would always be good. I guess I am just of the mind set that since I am loading for old Millsurp rifles in .30, 8mm and 45 cal. BPCR that do not have high sharp rifling which is the model given to cut the patch. I guess I feel that my rounds will do best if the paper stays put for the entire ride. This being the next best thing to sheding the skin a few feet downrange. I get impresive results using paper water and a bit of egg white on my BPCR loads and I wonder if they would stand up with a stick on patch.

In response to the gentleman who wanted prior results, I can't seem to lay my hands on them for reference but I recall that there was a reason I abandoned the quest. But if could have been a new gun/toy/load to develop. You know how that goes. JB

·
Registered
13 Posts
It always seemed likely to me that any non-drying adhesive/sticky stuff used on paper patches would likely be melted by the heat of bore friction, and liquid by the time they left the muzzle. What does reality say- do sticky paper patches stay on during flight, do they arrive at the target still attached?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts