Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
23,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an opportunity to buy some used ones along with a "tour bag". Together new, about $1,900.00. These are 16 years old, not taken proper care of, but in remarkable shape, and unbelievable quality. The Saddlebags are size 42c, which means they will hold 42 cans of your favorite beverage, and are not made in that size anymore. The tour bag a 3 year old could fit in. The Saddlebags have combo locks built in, but the outside pocketS on the Saddlebags, and tour bag all lock with small padlocks, and all bags "hardmount" to bike with quick detachable releases inside bags.
New bike mounts, and new bag conchos $175.00. Lots of hours with warm water, and saddle soap, dry time, and then Virgin olive oil, they look almost new. Really changed the look on my new Heritage for the better.
Has anyone else discovered these Great bags?

·
9,530 Posts
I don't remember hearing about them before now. :-\ I looked them up and they do look good! :D And well they should at that price! :eek:

·
23,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know but, total I've got less than $500.00 in them, and a lot of elbow grease. It's amazing what a little "leather knowhow" and effort produced. I'll post some pics. If you ride as much as I do it was worth it, and I think I could almost double my money if I sold them.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
the ones i have now are willie and max.
i had some hard side picked out, but i
couldn't go $600.00 some odd apiece
plus brackets and the paint. i have a
rear pack i don't know the name of that
straps on and converts into a backpack.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I don't know anything about these relatively new products, but my recollection of saddle bags of that basic design was that they collected water when riding in the rain and ruined whatever was in them. Not a problem for the modern pantywaists road rider who finds shelter the instant rain is in the forecast, and hardly ever rides anyway.

The samsonite bags made for BMWs were water proof, and extremely well designed.

I'll bet guzzijohn knows what the good stuff is.

·
23,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
These arent the usual thinner leather, these are made from saddle leather, and have hard rubber stiffeners inside.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Have never used leather bags so cannot add anything. Always used either fabric bags or hard bags. For the most part I have had good luck with fabric bags at a fraction of the cost of leather. Picture is from a Colorado trip when my 1975 Guzzi T-3 was loaded like a rented mule.
guzziJohn

·
23,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see a lot of fabric Baggs so they no doubt work. I grew up around motorcycles of the Harley Davidson "type" (dad had a 48 harley).
The leather is no doubt "preference", and it is what I grew up around. Horses and Harleys don't seem a likely mix to some, but both were part of my early years, so leather just feels comfortable.

·
9,530 Posts

·
23,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the trunk bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just sold my 2006 Heritage Soft tail a couple years ago. Had the Boss bags and they looked as good as new. Beautiful equipment.

·
23,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sold my Harley Heritage about a year ago back to the store I work for. Sold it to a woman who parked it where she shouldn't have.
It stayed in our shop for 2 months waiting on insurance settlement, but the Boss bags survived.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts