Graybeard Outdoors banner

Any opinions on the BLR???

4K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  dpe.ahoy 
#1 ·
I have a hankering for a new rifle and was thinking of a BLR in either 325WSM or 358win. I don't own any browning rifles or shotguns, so, I'd like some opinions as to how they function and endure the rigors of hunting.

Thanks and Happy Bird Day!!

#2 ·
I have one in .308. It is extremely accurate, even with cheap ammo. It is light and easy to carry all day. Cleaning should be done with a cable type cleaner since removing the lever and bolt is a pain from what I have heard. I use Gunscrubber to spray inside the action, then follow with a good oil and wipe as much as possible clean. If I ever get another one, it will be the new take-down model, would be easier to at least clean the barrel. Wish they would make it in .35 Whelen. I have come to love that caliber. The .325 is actually 8mm, so if you reload, bullets shouldn't be hard to find, and it is similar to .338 WM in ballistics. The .358 should be good, but maybe not as long range as the .325. However the .358 is very efficient with powder, like the Whelen if you reload. I have heard of people rebarreling the longer actions to include the .338 WM and the .458 WM. I also wish they would make it in stainless. The receiver is already aluminum. Also, from what I have read, about 50% of the BLR's made have been .308's. Hope this info is helpful.

#3 ·
Hi Dixie,

Thanks! I do reload and will. I wish the 325 was in a 20" though...just to be handy and I would buy the takedown. I thought about the 308, nothing wrong with that caliber yo be sure. I'm going to try to handle one this weekend.

Have a good Thanksgiving!!!

#4 ·
I bought a new one last December in 358 Winchester, and i think its the best lever action out there. Its definitely the strongest action as you can see in the caliber selection but it is also the the smoothest lever action i ever saw and weights in at 7.2 pounds with my leupold 1.5x5 i can carry it all week long . Sorry i didn't buy one years ago.

#6 ·
I bought a new 308Win BLR in 1983, put a Leupold Vari-X 2-7x28 compact scope on it and have been reeeeal happy with it, killed a lot of deer and elk with it, it's never failed me, shoots moa or better with 180gr Corelokts and 180gr Failsafes, it'll be with me as long as I wake up every day!!

Tim

#9 ·
I have found that walmart has some of the best prices on the BLR. I hate to say it but when i get one thats where ill be getting it.

#13 ·
I lucked into a used BLR in GREAT shape in .358 Winchester this fall. I topped it with a 2x7x33 Burris and I am very pleased. A friend loaded some 225NBT's over RL7 and it went 3/4" for 3 shots at 107yds. I got into loading a little later and I am shooting the 200gr Hornady over H4985 with pretty much the same accuracy, I have not chrono'd the load but it should be at or above 2450fps. I killed a nice buck last Sunday with it and honestly this gun is so handy I don't know if my other guns will ever see the woods.

#15 ·
LOL!!!!! Note to self, do not argue with the wife and type on the web about shooting things at the same time! Thanks for the call out on that, it could have been ugly!

;D

I have a picture to prove that it was actually a buck. However, I did have to do the ol'Texas Heart shot. First shot he was moving as the trigger broke, entered behind the right front shoulder, exit in front of the right front shoulder, breaking it. He runs down the holler and stops behind some trees, steps out straight away and it's in the tail or he's gone. Second shot hits at the base of the tail and he dies like he has been struck by lightning. Bullet penetrated several inches of spine, broke the pelvis and came to a stop close to the brisket, pretty good performance.

#19 ·
It looks like a model 94 but it ain't nothing like it.
Since nobody will say it I will, the BLR uses an arc driven rack & pinion action (it's only a lever action on the outside), and yes, the trigger stays with the lever when cycled.
A trigger job on this is easier than a Savage 99, but don't take apart the action unless you have real patience and a guide.

#20 ·
bought dad one for a retirement present and he loves it. Tried to talk him into a 257 or 358 as i knew i would be mine someday but he wanted a 308 and thats what he got. Its take quite a few deer is relitively light and accurate and very reliable.

#21 ·
Do you guys clean your BLR's from the muzzle or do you remove the bolt and carrier and clean from the breech? My old BLR has some real bad copper fouling and I need it gone. I am used to bolt guns and using a bore guide, I just don't want any of the junk from the barrel down in the action.

Thanks

#22 ·
I imagine it would be best to clean from the breach. If you have a cable cleaning system then you don't have to remove anything. Like a otis cleaning system with the cables. I cannot think of the other one right now.

#23 ·
A Hoppes "Bore Snake" perhaps? I use them in several calibers and they work well. I have a BLR in 7mm-08 and like it well enough but it looks a little fancy and shiny to take into the woods with me, the shiny wood, high gloss bue, gold trigger and all. It is a fine gun with great workmanship though and some day I just might take it out with me. All this reading about them kind of gets me wanting to shoot it and hunt it it....<><....:)

#24 ·
I looked at one with a VX3 scope on it at the gun shop for $800. I think its a good price for the new shape its in. I wish I had the money for it

#26 ·
Have one in 7mm-08 with a Nikon 1.5-4.5 power on it. Stock trigger not the best, but usable. I have considered trying to knock the high gloss down a bit, really shines in the sun. Darn thing is so pretty though I just can't bring myself to do it. Tim, I see you are all over the forums, you always have good advice for everything. DP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.