Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure would like to hear back from anyone that has already gotten thiers back. NEF did not provide many details about these barrels, and I have to wait till this coming week to send in for mine. I would love an update from anyone who has gotten one.

·
Super Moderator
51,042 Posts
Anybody have the 7.62x39 Yet? How are they

I sent another email asking them what the twist rate is and when they would be available, should hear back tomorrow....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

Robert, this is going to take some sorting out even after we get barrels. Some of the Russian ammo is incredibly bad.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Russian ammunition bad??

I have NEVER run across any bad 7.62x39 whether it be Wolf,Izmash or Winchester.Please explain what you mean by bad?Have I been overlooking something?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

Stan, what I mean is that I got 5-6 MOA with Barnaul HP and FMJ in a rifle that does about 2 MOA with cast and less than 1 MOA with handloads using the Sierra 125 .311 Pro Hunters. Results were just as bad with some nameless Russian surplus.

·
Super Moderator
51,042 Posts

Got this reply from them....

the bore is .300 and the grove is .310 the twist is 9.45 we have them in stock.
Tim

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Wow...a 9.45 twist....that is pretty cool. These guns should stabilize some big heavy bullets....exactly what I was hoping....now we just have to see what the throat is. If it is too much....will possibly not be so accurate with factory ammo or reloading 123 gr bullets..unless seated long, but would be great for big cast bullets or with big Sierra Matchkings. On the other hand....if the throat is short....it is pretty easy to get it reamed out and accurized a little bit. I can't wait.

·
Registered
922 Posts

Did they say what the cost of this barrel would be?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

82.00 for the barrel 15.00 fitting fee and a 10.00 S&H

$107.00 to your door.

·
Registered
922 Posts

Sounds like i may be getting one of these barrels. Just for the range.

·
Banned
802 Posts

a 9.45 twist
That is downright strange. :shock:

This is a cartridge that would do just fine with a 1/12 twist! Not that the 9.45 won't work and indeed it might be fantastic. The 9.45 just does not seem to have any precedent or purpose.

Lessee, what other .311 cartridge out there has a 9.45 twist? This is coming across like a matter of conveniance in terms of rifling buttons already on the shelf! What is 9.45 per foot when translated into turns per meter?

·
Banned
802 Posts

Chuck Hawks says that 1-7.5 is normal for 7.62x39
Gonna measure the twist on my Yugo SKS. 7.62X39 is essentially a .30 caliber bullet which is stabilized even up to 220 grains by a 1-10 twist.

I'll let ya know what mine measures

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

OK Tom..Don't go messing with my mind. I just sent my receiver in today, and you are gonna make me wish I ordered two of them.

·
Registered
492 Posts

are they selling rifles in 7.62x39 or just barrels ?

this is a slick round, i believe it is based on the 220 russian which is the root of the 22 and 6mm ppc. it may also be the cause for all the wsm and wssm rounds too. does it have a small or large rifle primer ? a small one would be preferrable.

with a 310 groove, it should be easy enough for cast bullets too. although, a regular 308 groove would give us more of a bullet selection.

sg

·
Super Moderator
51,042 Posts

Just barrels, order number is R03490.

Tim

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Scattergunner, the 7.62x39 can be had with either small or large primers. (CORRECTION, Usually it is LARGE PRIMERS....Remington uses Small Primers. ) *********************edited. I have both.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

Ya got that backwards scatter gunner. 7.62x39 is the parent cartridge for those mentioned, It was developed in the 40s a response to the shortened 8MM the Germans used in the Strumguvier, (spelling?) The worlds first assult rifle. 8)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts