Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use a ruger single six for hunting .How is it set up mine just plain Jane single six with a trigger job .I once had hogue grips on it but removed them like the factory look better

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Don't use a single six, but do have two Rugers set up for hunting.

First I have a Bisley BlackHawk in .45 Colt. I have it set up for a woods sidearm.

The second is a Super BlackHawk Hunter in .45 Colt with a Burris 2x handgun scope installed.

The SBH will go into the woods this year.

Last year I downed two does with a S&W 629 Classic and a 2x Leupold scope at 45 yards.

I really love handgun hunting and will be doing it for as long as I can!!! :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Right now I handgun hunt with a Ruger MKIII. However I plan to get a Ruger New Model Single Six in 17hmr/17mach2 and use that for hunting small game and varmints.
I have 17hmr in my CZ rifle and love its accuracy. It shoots far fewer "fliers" than the 22lr, it seems.
Deb

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Duane, I thought hunting was the only reason they were ever built. Have worn out (actually beat to death) two pair of grips. Took almost 30 yers to do it though. Now wears Ajax polymers. Trigger is 'worn' in.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Lawful Larry,
Those barbed wire grips are incredible.
Are they the original grips custom carved or aftermarket? Beautiful.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a 6.5" stainless that I bought in 1977. I have carried it in the woods more than any other handgun I own. The only thing I have done to it is a trigger job and I replaced the gripframe with a Super Blackhawk gripframe. It balances out the longer barrel and looks good too.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have a 5.5 inch I bought in 1973. I dont think a pickup truck would haul the bullets I have put through it. I have taken a lot of game with it and shot several hogs using the magnum cylinder. They were in large pens and I would take the head shot. It is a gun I own that is not for sale.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Duane said:
Do you use a ruger single six for hunting .How is it set up mine just plain Jane single six with a trigger job .I once had hogue grips on it but removed them like the factory look better
I hunt small game with an original SS in .32 H&R. Absolutely love it.

Larry Gibson

·
Registered
96 Posts
I squirrel hunt with a 6 inch SingleSix in .22 Mag. I have a 4 X Burris scope mounted. Works pretty good out to about 60 yards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts