Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pix etc here

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2856M/lots/9

Bore is really 5 1/8 inches. Marks on one trunnions are "05" and other a conjoined AB meaning Aker foundry (yes the A should have the two lil' dots over it.)

What I find curious is the very large bore for something shaped like a gun not a howitzer. The trunnions are also small in diameter compared to the bore. Trunnions are also very low for a piece cast in 1805?, the rest of the civilized world seems to have gone to centerline trunnions by then, as recommended by Muller many decades earlier.

What was the purpose of this odd piece? Field, naval, or what and is it really a howitzer?

Bore was obstructed by a wood plug so we don't yet know whether it has a reduced-diameter chamber or not.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Perhaps when you get the wood plug out you'll discover some gold bars hidden in there......
Interesting piece there is not much out there on Swedish cannon in the 1800's .....

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Allen. I emailed Steelcharge but no answer yet, think he was Swedish. Haven't heard from Dan the Swede in a while-anyone know how to contact him? Might uncover more marks-have yet to scrape old paint off breech. Very knowledgeable folks in UK suggested it may have been made in Sweden for Denmark during one of the periods when Sweden and Denmark weren't at war with each other, so I'm looking for info on Danish guns also. Have found drawings of 18th C. Swedish iron guns with the same type of "pointed" cascabel, but no Danish guns with it yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
cannonmn said:
Thanks Allen. I emailed Steelcharge but no answer yet, think he was Swedish.
I'm actually Finnish, but since Finland is bilingual, swedish is a mandatory subject in school. My swedish skills aren't amazing though, just the basics.

About the cannon, I think I know what it is..
I'm pretty sure it's a 12-pdr field gun of "Helvig's model" of 1804 (I think).
Carl von Helvig (1765-1844) being the designer.
I could be wrong, but this is the conclusion I came to after a quick look in swedish museums collections.

Here's a link to a 12-pdr of "Helvig's model":
http://digitaltmuseum.se/011024415667?query=kanon&page=20&pos=468&count=4356

Link to a page of the above guns carriage, shows the tube from front nicely:
http://digitaltmuseum.se/011024415669?query=kanon&page=18&pos=410&count=4356

And here's a 6-pounder of the same Helvig's design:
http://digitaltmuseum.se/011024415816?query=kanon&page=62&pos=1482&count=4356

Both of the above guns are in the Armémuseum in Stockholm, probably asking them about more details is the best idea.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steelie, thanks much, if you had not come along I would have chased this information for years, probably. I will certainly follow up with the museum and at least get details of the carriage so I can get one built if things work out. Again, thanks!

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Von Helvig was an interesting character, here's an automatically-translated article from Wikipedia:

Carl von Helvig

Carl von Helvig, also Karl Gottfried von Helvig [1] (* 4. September 1764 [2] in Stralsund as Carl (Friedrich Ludwig) Gottfried Hellwig [3] [4]; † 11. May 1844 in Berlin) was a Swedish General Feldzeugmeister and Prussian general lieutenant of artillery.

Table of Contents [Hide]
1 Life
2 fonts
3 Literature
4 References

Life [Edit]

He came from an originally Saxon family and was the son of the carpenter master and the senior's carpenters Kaspar Christian Hellwig. Helvig attended the town school in Stralsund. The income of the father were not enough to enable him to attend a higher education institution. Although already had been discovered and encouraged his drawing and mathematical talent at school, he had to start a carpentry apprenticeship according to the will of the Father. He turned out to be physically unfit and dealt, after an injury autodidact with Fortifikationszeichnungen. In 1781 he passed the entrance examination and went as an engineer cadet for fortification after Gothenburg. After his maintenance there could no longer finance and got no support, he enlisted there by the Swedish artillery. It was in 1782 sergeant and was involved in a campaign to Norway. In 1788 he was a second lieutenant. During the campaign in 1789 Finland became king Gustav III. Noticed him. The this subsequent Regent, who Duke of Södermann country, decided to establish Horse Artillery. For this purpose, from Swedish Pomerania originating artillery officer Carl Friedrich Kobes (later known as Carl von Cardell knighted) of Stralsund appointed to Sweden. This started off Helvig to his assistant, who was in 1794 promoted to Staff Captain. Though the two quarreled and Helvig 1795 to Major in perfecting's (Wendland) Artillery Regiment was promoted, Cardell took some decisive ideas Helvigs.

As Helvig in his new position, proposed to equip the Swedish artillery guns with iron, he came again in dispute. The Duke of Södermann country therefore ordered him to embassy to Constantinople Opel. Helvig led 1796 research around Çanakkale by where later Troy was discovered and joined with various scholars of his time and with Napoleon Bonaparte in conjunction.

After his return, he sat down again for a reform of the artillery. In 1802 he was lieutenant colonel in the artillery of the bodyguard and member of the Artillery Committee. He came to prominence as weapons designer deserves and led 1804 later named after him Helvigsche Feldkanone, which was lighter by about one third, than the older model used in 1749, but later replaced by Cardells construction was. In the same year he became a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. Developed by him Feldjäger lop had a run with an octagonal chamber, four trains and a bayonet. His caliber of 21.2 millimeters was the biggest in Sweden in the 19th century.

1805 Helvig was promoted to adjutant general of the king and the colonel and inspector of artillery. In 1807 he was promoted to General Feldzeugmeister and commander of the entire artillery. That same year he was elevated to the Swedish nobility. Relations with the King Karl XIII. designed later unfavorably so Helvig 1815 with the transition Swedish Pomerania to Prussia resigned and entered as a Major General in the Prussian military service on 19 December 1815th Here one was particularly interested in his knowledge of iron gun barrels. When he fell out because of the production with the hut authority, the matter came to a standstill. Finally Helvig 1826 retired as lieutenant general.

Until his death he lived in Berlin, where he was engaged in scientific work. Since 1803 he was with Amalie von Imhoff married (1776-1831).

Fonts [Edit]
Comments about thunder and lightning, along with conjectures about the emergence of air phenomena. In: Annals of Physics. Vol. 51, Issue 10, 1815, pp 117-148 (Abstract).

Literature [Edit]
Bernhard von Poten: Helvig, Carl von. In: General German Biography (ADB). Volume 13, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1881, S. 500 f.
Helvig (Karl Gottfried). In: Conversations-lexicon of the latest period and literature. In four volumes. Vol. 2, FA Brockhaus, Keipzig 1833, p 401-402 (digitized).
Helvig, Karl Gottfried. In: Nordisk familjebok. Tape 6. First Edition. Stockholm 1876-1899, p 1011 f. (Swedish)
Gustaf Elgenstierna (Hg.):. The introducerade Svenska adelns ättartavlor Band 3, Stockholm 1927 (older Genealogy)
Genealogical Handbook of the nobility, Adelslexikon Volume V, page 108, volume 84 of the total row, CA strong publishing house, Limburg (Lahn) 1984th

References [edit]
1.Jumping Up ↑ The GHDA-Adelselxikon call him Carl Gottfried Helvig, Swedish peerage on 6 February 1807 "Helvig" (without "of") and introduction in the aristocratic class of the Swedish knights on 4 February 1809 Royal Swedish colonel of artillery, Adjutant General and inspector of artillery. Only his grandson Hugo Helvig was enrolled in the noble class on September 5, 1876 as "of Helvig" in the Kingdom of Bavaria. Thus, the attribution "of Helvig" for those described herein would Carl Gottfried Helvig wrong. - Source: Genealogical Handbook of the nobility, Adelslexikon Bd. V (1984)
2.High jump ↑ In Swedish encyclopedias called without further commentary notwithstanding September 7, 1765 as a birthday. - (See. Here).
3.High jump ↑ Otto Titan von Hefner: Studbook of flowering and dead nobility in Germany. Vol. 2, Georg Joseph Manz, Regensburg, 1863, pp 135-136 (digitized)
4.High jump ↑ In Nordisk familjebok is Wolgast indicated as the birthplace. With Poten (ADB) and Hefner called 1764 as year of birth.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
when I try to open that link it only tell me "site is temporarily unavailable" so cant help at the moment

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
sorry john but no dots over the A , it shhould be a small cirkle on top of the A

ÅB is a short for åkers stycke bruk , today the name of the place wherethey was made is åkers styckebruk
the old name was åkers , and the word "stycke" is an very old swedish word for cannon
bruk means foundry or factory

I guess you could get a copy of the original blueprintings if you contact the museum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.