Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I don't mean what you call your partner :) A while back, I ordered a few for the house and had a lot of fun when I set a couple out. I wasn't sure what to expect when I looked out off the deck and saw two black swirling bodied in front of the wharf. It turns out I caught two nice pout.

So, anyone else use these things?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are the sheet metal automatic fishing reels. I have always thought that they were a gimmick but I was surpirsed to see them catch fish. You have aboout 10 ft of line or so and the spool is wound on a spring. A latch acts as a trip. When the fish grabs the bait the hook is set, thus the fish is actually reeled in. I would venture to say that it works best on fish under 2 lbs.

·
Administrator
26,222 Posts
Don't reckon I've ever seen any of them. For sure haven't ever used them. Do you use them as limb lines or in place of bank sets with rod?

Think I'll start a thread on limb lines. Bet others have used them also.

GB

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yo-Yo's

Up here in the Mississippi Delta some folks on the ox-bow lakes off the Mississippi River use Yo-Yo's to catch crappie during the early spring. Since they bait them with minnows they sometimes catch the odd cat that has wandered up off the bottom for a look around.

Splendid Ha-Ha, Maybe next year in the Egg Bowl!

JEB/Ms

·
Registered
111 Posts
yo-yo

i know what yall are talkin about i heard they was illegal down here, but i guess i heard wrong.

Craig

·
Registered
109 Posts
I use em!! I hang em off the boat when I am tied off fishin for cats. They bring in a few extra fish. When the cats are slow sometimes I'll just set the yoyos around the boat and fly fish for bream.

Man you just cant beat a good day on the water [any day is a good day on the water]

Geybeard.. I get em at Walmart. They run about 20 bucks a dozen.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wouldn't use them for big cats, but for crappie and sandbass they work well. String them up on a long parachute chord that runs between a couple of snags along a creek channel. A couple of minnow buckets kept at each end for bait, and you're in business. A good campfire on the bank nearby, ice chest full of cold ones, and you've got a nice way to spend an early spring night.

·
Registered
62 Posts
:D They're pretty popular down here. But like some have said not for big fish.

Tabbycat Elkins 8)

·
Registered
181 Posts
YO-YO's

I use them a lot here on the Sabine River, and upper Toledo Bend Lake. With very good results I might add. I fish about 50-75 of them along the bank and on the odd snag or downed tree. when the crappie, or "white perch" as we call em' are running you can really tear em' up!
I favor limb lines or jug's for cats though. :lol:

·
Registered
602 Posts
bigbore442001 said:
And I don't mean what you call your partner :) A while back, I ordered a few for the house and had a lot of fun when I set a couple out. I wasn't sure what to expect when I looked out off the deck and saw two black swirling bodied in front of the wharf. It turns out I caught two nice pout.

So, anyone else use these things?
What the hells a "pout"? :?
JM

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've used them for catfish. We use them in the spring at night. Bait them with Catalpa worms. Works great on Blues and Channel cat and occassionally will catch a Flathead. You have to bait them after dark to keep the bream from eating the Catalpa worms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts