Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. First post and i was wondering if anyone was shooting LONG distances with these rifles?i have been thinking of building an ultta budget tactical rifle and saw mention of these neat little single shooters. How far out have you guys been shooting? ive been thinking of a .30-06

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Think 308 also, it is possible. It is done all the time with M1A's and bolt guns in 308.Time, patience's,and some ingenuity it is possible. Welcome,good to have you on the forum. 26-t ;)

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
If I were going to build a budget Handi to shoot 1000 yards, it would be the 280 Remington or a 7mm-08. I shot 1000 yards last summer with a 7mm-08 and it did well. I was able to post a 10" 5 shot group at 1000 yards shooting my handloads with 139 grain Sierra game kings over a med load of Varget. The bullets were coming through the target just under sub-sonic so a bit heavier powder load for a bit more muzzle velocity was probably in order to tighten things up but I was happy with what I was getting. I did have plenty of room in my handloads to get 200-300 fps more muzzle velocity and the 7mm-08 is plenty capable of handling that range but the reason I mention the 280 is in the added MV ability and the longer barrel in the Handi. Either one being a 7mm (.284 cal) offers a very good choice of bullets with great BC's, probably better (but not by a lot) than what you'd find for the 30 cals.

Now with that said the 3006 and the 308 are both very capable of the 1000 yard shot. There is a reason the US military has used them, they are very capable.....

I think out of the above mention cartridges, the 7mm-08 and the 280 will present notably less recoil than the 308 and the 3006 respectably and for me that is a big deal because if you develop even a slight flinch shooting 1000 yards, you may as well just pack up and go home. Just for reference, I do not even notice the recoil of my 7mm-08 when shooting my 1000 yard load.

Now I'm no expert and I'm not claiming to be. I just want to pass on some observations and knowledge to help you out if I can. I need to mention that the 7mm-08 rifle that I shot th 10" group with was not a Handi. It was however a standard field grade hunting rifle with a field grade Nikon 3-9x scope that I'm sure a Handi could shoot as well as if prepped correctly. Actually, a Handi in 280 is on my short list for doing just as you are looking to do with it. I would recommend though that you choose a scope with target turrets as you will need to establish a zero at shorter yardage (mine is at 200 yards) and go from there. For reference, mine took 128 clicks of elevation up from 200 to zero at 1000 yards.

Good luck and have fun...

LM

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I sure wouldn't call it a tactical rifle, but my BC will put 410 gr and 500 gr bullets into a 2.5' target at 1000 yards, consistently. Hard to describe groups better than that, as the target is a steel plate.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hopefully Sourdough will comment here. He routinely uses a 3006 Handi out at 500-700 yards up in Alaska. I wonder what his furthest successful shot may be..

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I use the 30-06 Handi to shoot out to 700 yards every winter. I have been using the Sierria 165gr Hollowpoint Boattail. I shoot wolves with this load, and have not liked the performance I have gotten a few times beyond 500 yards. Hitting the wolf is no problem, but bullet performance is lacking. I am looking at working up new loads using the Nosler 165gr Ballistic tip.

Since the bullet performance is lacking I have not tried to shoot beyond 700 yards with my 30-06. Don't see any reason I could not hit on out to 1000 yards, just have not tried.

Right now for work beyond 700 yards I am using another rifle. A .338/378 Weatherby, it's just so expensive to shoot that monster.

·
Registered
769 Posts
This is what I was thinking about when I bought my 280, a 280AI reamer, and a box of 162gr A-Max. At the time, a fellow at Hornady tech support told me the bullet would stabilize at 3200fps, might be ok at 3000, and would not stabilize at 2800, so I think the AI conversion would be a good idea to shoot the long low drag bullets. I assume the 7mm-08 has the same twist rate, so 139gr might be the way to go with that chambering and a 22" barrel.

Still don't know if I want to try to hand ream the chamber, and don't know where I could shoot 1000 yards within 50 miles of me. I can shoot on some farmland, but 400-500 yards is my best line of sight there. Most of the nearby commercial shooting ranges top out at 200-300 yards.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm guess I'm gonna be the first to say a Handi is not a good platform for 1000 yard shooting. The trigger isn't that great, the barrel twists aren't right, and the barrels themselves aren't match quality. The stocks certainly aren't optimum either.

Your only real choice is a 7mm or 30 caliber with heavy bullets. I don't think you'll be pleased with lighter than 150 grains in 7mm or 175 in the caliber. Once you have a load that will stay supersonic and appears to shoot good the rest is up to you...but with a Handi rifle you're gonna be supremely disappointed at 1000 yards I think.

·
Registered
383 Posts
No, I haven't tried my Handi's at 1000 yards.
The Handi's are fun and useful little guns. In Va, we generally shoot Deer at less than 100 yards with a long shot being 300.

I do have a 1000 yard range but why waste ammunition using something that I know will give mediocre to poor results.

I reserve my long range shooting for one of my 300's or if I'm feeling nostalgic, my Sharps. The Handi's just aren't made for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kevinsmith5 said:
Buffalo Classic 45-70 government. Has a 1892 Krag ladder sight and a 32" barrel.
so can one still aquire one of these? That sounds like a helluva lot better option than the .30-06! Are they inexpensive like the handi rifles? Could i just get a handi rifle in .45-70? Or are they different?

For anyone who thinks this is silly, its just for fun. Im not seriousy persuing this as a viable alternative toan expensive bolt gun. Just something to do for a gas.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
ALL current and recent production H&R rifle barrels are drilled and tapped for a scope base, the two rear mounting holes can be used for a sight, see Peep and Firesights in the FAQs which is a good place for ALL newbies to spend lots of time reading. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
there is a 1000 meter range not too far from here. That gun club hosts the NMLRA Territorial here in Minn each year. Couple years ago I was putting in my time as RO at the territorial and the same weekend they had an International NRA 1000m shoot.
I mossied over for a look see, :eek: :eek: the guns those guy's have! Didn't see a handi though. Mostly 7's and 30's, one feller had a 6mm, we had an awfull cross wind that day so there was no real bragging groups being shot. What I found amazing was the elevation used for that distance, the feller said 26 minutes of elevation,,for the laymen that's shooting 26 feet over the target and hitting it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts