Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bullets using Unique powder? I would like to end up at about 1000 FPS. If so, what is your charge weight?
Steve

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a 657-3 classic hunter. Scoped. I load berrys plated bullets, fn 225g. I use win 296/20g. This is my load. Shoots 3" at 100y. Good from 25 to 100y. Killed a few deer. Bang flop. Not much expansion. Dead although. I don't want/need a heavier bullet. Fps is probably 1100 to 1500. Accuracy. Have a handy rifle, 20", that shoots way better. Don't carry both, one or the other. I have a model 7 in 308 for other stuff. What's your Choice?

·
24,003 Posts
you might want to try a bit slower powder with a bullet that heavy. Something like 16 grains of 2400 should get you in the ball park. Personaly in 41s I don't fool much with stuff heavier then 250s. Most of them don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize anything heavier at long range, especially at reduced velocitys like you want to run it. Not much of a worry for 50 yard deer hunting though. Bottom line though is if a 250 wont kill it either will a 265 or heavier bullet. two bullets ive done the most killing with in the 41s are the lbt 250 lfngc and the speer half jacketed bullets. Both do great on deer, bear and pigs.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lloyd, I realize that I'm pushing the envelope to near .44 as far as bullet weight goes and surely wouldn't want to take a shot at anything over 50. Just though may make a good close range whitetail setup, for dense timber situations(like I hunt here in Illinois)? I may, indeed, try your advise and use some 2400 with bullet, probably fill the cases a bit more.
Steve

·
24,003 Posts
Im sure not going to tell you what to do but my experience shows me that 15 grains of bullet weight isn't going to buy you a thing on a deer. maybe if you were trying to shoot a 1000 lb animal with a 41 but then id bet youd probably use a bigger gun for that anyway. One thing the 41s have always been for me are excellent penetrators. that 250 lfngc lbt bullet will penetrate till tomorrow. The only place Ive found the 41s a bit lacking when compared to the 44 and 45 is for quick kills. Its the only place in my mind for possibly using a hp, cast soft point or heaven forbid a wfn. But if you don't mind your deer running a few yards those lbt lfns are hard to beat. Don't sweat over 15 grains of weight though in a 41. About the only thing its going to buy you is long range instability unless you cranking it up to max velocity's. that 250 at 1100 fps will kill a lot of animal.
S.B. said:
Lloyd, I realize that I'm pushing the envelope to near .44 as far as bullet weight goes and surely wouldn't want to take a shot at anything over 50. Just though may make a good close range whitetail setup, for dense timber situations(like I hunt here in Illinois)? I may, indeed, try your advise and use some 2400 with bullet, probably fill the cases a bit more.
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My listing the 265 grain bullet is because I already own a mold of this persuasion'
Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
You could look on Ranch Dog's web site for load info on the .410 265 gr. bullet.
In any case, 2400, 4227, H110 or Win 296 are going to be your powders. I don't think I would like to try to drive that big slug very fast (over 1000 fps) with Unique. I also have that RD mold, but I have never loaded it.
Brodie

·
24,003 Posts
if that's what you have then go for it. Your probably not going to shoot a deer so far out that its unstable anyway. It definitely will kill a deer but I would look seriously at some 2400 or aa9 to push it.
S.B. said:
My listing the 265 grain bullet is because I already own a mold of this persuasion'
Steve

·
Registered
286 Posts
Went to range today, took my 41 mag 657-3. 2x6 busnell scope. Buddy gave me a box of handloads from his dad, deceased. 200g swc 41 mag Specials?? never heard of them. Shot good, 25y 2x on the scope. 2", rested. Then brought out the big boys. 225g berrys plated w/296 hot. 1" little high and to the left. Adjusted, 1" cylinder full everytime. A waist of a 25y range. I like accuracy over bullet weight. Should be good out to 125y. Hunting load is same weight, jacketed soft point. Good for deer, bear, and even elk. I use a 340g gcfn in my 45 colt carbine. Shoots like a laser at 150y.X

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.