Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my bucket list is to hunt and take a nice Blacktail. Only place in the continental US I know of is the Pacific Northwest. Kodiak Alaska has a good amount, but so far away. I have taken around 125 whitetail throughout the years and currently have 9 shoulder mounts in my game room. I would love to add a heavy antlered Blacktail. Maybe someday........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't consider BC. I will have to check that out as well. I really need to do this while I am still able. I heard on the Kodiak hunt, you have to "hike in" around 2 hours to get to the really good Blacktails. Then I have seen videos of people filming Blacktails right along the beach. Either way I need to do this while I still can.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
They are hard to hunt on public land in Oregon / Washington. It seems like they have shifted to a point where they are more nocturnal than they used to be.

Alaska has quite a few in Southeast and Southcentral (near shore). Limits are generous.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have in the past but been years. I've lived in Central Oregon over 30 years now and the blacktails are on the west side. Blacktails are a deer, not much else I can say about them. They are usually pretty small bodied to boot! If I was looking to go find a different deer I'd like either Eastern Montana Mules or N.E. U.S. Whitetails. I hear they are huge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts