Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of Speer 180gr hot cor bullets that my 30-06 will cut holes at 60 yards with a red dot scope. I have read mixed reviews on game performance. Anyone use them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,656 Posts
Actually, yes. I load that same bullet for a buddies 30-06, and he swears by them for deer. He has taken at least 6 or 7 using that bullet, with no complaints. From what I have seen, it works just as well as any non-bonded cup and core bullet out there, which is to say, fine on deer sized game.

Larry

·
Registered
579 Posts
a lot of people get hung up on the bullet staying together. The reality is you just need the bullet to reach the vitals, damage them and hopefully leave some type of exit would in case you need to track them. I don't really care if the core separates from the jacket so long as part of that bullet makes it out the other side. I read bad reviews where they complain about the bullet coming apart, yet the animal is down. I wonder at what part in the critters death did the bullet fail? :D

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Good bullet for deer. Yeah gun writers and such can spread the death nell for stuff many of them don't really understand. They jump on one area of performance and declare it sacred..........so a gun, a bullet, and the like live and die by their propaganda.

Take the 17M2........they have almost sounded it's death because it's "performance is so inferior to the 17 HMR" :( :( Well, DUH? The m2 is based on the 22LR stinger case and the Hmr on the 22 magnum case, so go figure.

Down here in the south we don't have praire dogs........we have dillers in the back yard and gray squirrels in the trees for which the hmr is tremendous overkill and even dangerous.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For whatever reason my 30-06 absolutely loves, Speer bullets in general from what I have seen. I got some 200gr on trade and they stack on top of each other also. I'm gonna give them a go in November!

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
drdougrx said:
Nope....bounces right off em. I'd recommend a carbon fiber bullet with a tungsten core.... ;0)
You're probably right. After all, Speer has only been successfully making and selling hunting bullets to reloaders for what, some 70 years now? ;)

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Yes I have killed 8 to 10 deer using their 180 grain fnsp in my .35 Rem Marlin. I liked that bullet better than rem core-lokts, seem to expand better and put the deer down faster. Also load them in my Rem 700 classic in 8x57mm Mauser using the 200 grain hot cor, shot a average size spike buck and it was a bang-flop. They are good bullets, i like em. I prefer shot placement over raw ballistic power, and do not believe deer are armor plated like some guys will tell you. I have killed them with calibers much less powerful than the two I mentioned and it was all about shot placement and off season practice.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
fiveshot said:
a lot of people get hung up on the bullet staying together. The reality is you just need the bullet to reach the vitals, damage them and hopefully leave some type of exit would in case you need to track them. I don't really care if the core separates from the jacket so long as part of that bullet makes it out the other side. I read bad reviews where they complain about the bullet coming apart, yet the animal is down. I wonder at what part in the critters death did the bullet fail? :D

Congratulations on being one of the few with common sense.

Some of my Speer bullet experiences:

The 350 grain Speer Hot Core out of a 458 Lott was enough to take this rabbit. The bullet wasn't recovered.

[img]

The zebra was taken from about 200 yards with a 270 grain Speer bullet (don't remember if it was a Hot Core) out of a 375 H&H Magnum. It died pretty fast.

[IMG]

The bullet from said zebra. It probably hit a twig just before hitting the zebra.

[img]

Another victim of a Speer bullet out of a 375 H&H Magnum.

I could post more but I'll stifle myself.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Probably half a dump truck full. :) ::) ::) ::) Altho I have some I dont use the 30cal much. I have used many in 35 cal. (250 RN discontinued) Speer 145g in 7mm and 105g in 243.

Always good preformance. I would not worry about them working.

CW

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have read the reviews on midway and reloaders nest was just curious about you guys here. I take those reviews with a grain of salt because half of them have not killed anything with them and the other half are " I made a perfect shot and I lost it because the bullet never expanded" well how do you know that if you never got the animal?

Thanks guys

·
24,008 Posts
lots of deer with hot cores. none with 180 .30 cal though. Hot cores have allways been one of my go to bullets. Right up there with sierras, and nos bts. Like those two others they ALWAYS EXPAND. I agree with you that the bozo's on the midway right ups have no clue. There poor shooting is just covered by blaming the bullet for not doing its job. Put one in the boiler room of ANY deer or pig or bear and youll be eating backstraps tommarow.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
yes, its the bullet i use in my 8x57 m98 mauser. Speer 150 gr hotcor with a case full of WW-748. Sitting up in a tree stand over looking a corn feeder bout 60 yds away. i watched a big doe run up and start munching some corn. I shot her and she dropped right there and didnt move. She had a button buck with her and he ran up and sniffed the doe so I shot him too....good bullet performance.....nickel sized entrance hole, quarter sized exit hole.....turned heart and lungs to mush which poured out when i eviserated them.....i didnt know he was a button buck till i climbed down and walked over to them.... so that day i took home two deer, boy they tasted good.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
In recent years have killed deer with various loads..I have killed bucks with CX2 Winchester in 30/30 170 gr power point ...and in 150 gr CX2, out of a Ruger American .308. Both performed well 1 shot kills...308 he went 30 yards, in the 30/30 it was DRT. Now those Winchesters are not quite what the hot cores are, so they can only perform better. Hot core is more important at higher velocities..a 30/30 doesn't hit velocities where a hot core is mandatory..but it would be extra benny. I have killed many deer with a .44 magnum rifle, and the plain Jane soft point from Federal, Remington or Winchester are totally up to the job...velocity again. ll, I normally reload hunting bullets with either interlock or partition bullets, just for the extra assurance.
One can consider all reviews as lies, but it seems it would take a quite cynical person to do so as a knee-jerk reaction.

·
Registered
196 Posts
By far have killed more deer with the .270 130 grain hot core than any other. Speed close to 2850 FPS.
Something about that combo that just flat works. People see results and always want to know where they can get some. (reloads, so there on there own.

TVC 15

1 - 18 of 18 Posts