Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to discover what velocities can be obtained out of a rifle length barrel in one of the JDJ cartridges; 8mm, .338 #2, or .375.

Just a ballpark would be fine. I'm trying to decide between these 3 for an elk rifle project (see my other post) and wanted to know what I should select.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Sorry, my load records are still packed someplace from a move. Can't speak for the 8mm, but the 338#2 and 375 would both be elk sledgehammers even in pistola lengths. I have 257/309/375JDJ's - a pard in Phoenix took a nice 5X5 a couple of years ago out past 300 yards (measured) with his short 338#2.

·
Registered
711 Posts
12-14%

If you know the pistol velocities,( I think they're listed on his web site), I recall JD told me to figure 12 to 14% above for rifle. (just found some figures), 375-270-2200fps, 338-200-2600fps. That's all I got for you, sorry it's not more. O. :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys!

Yeah I am going to have to give old JD a call and get the info from the horses mouth. I really can't decide between his larger cartridges. Even the 9.3 sounds very interesting. Something about a 250 ballistic tip, just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I know I am changing my mind every day, but at least I have a couple of weeks before I will be placing my order.

I'm sure any of them will work very well for what I am wanting to do. Might just have to take the 3 top choices, .338 #2, 9.3, and .375 throw them in a hat and pull out a winner! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts