Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 357 Max 20" barrel, loading 180gr PC bullets (no GC) over LilGun at 16 gr and am getting PC showing up in my barrel after 2 rounds. Started scrubbing bore with brush after each 4 shot group, no help. Am I too hot for this bullet? Is it the LilGun Powder? Groups range from 5" to 10" at 50 yrds. I have had 2" groups at 50yrds with 2400 with same bullets, not sure if I was getting PC buildup. I have loaded up 5 rounds of 2400 at 12.5 grains and will try them at the range tomorrow to see if I am having same issue.

·
23,901 Posts
i dont use lilgun in anything anymore. It burns to hot (temp not pressure) Could be effecting your pc coating. Try the same bullet at the same velocity using your 2400 or some 110 and see if its making a differnce. Could also be a batch of bullet the pc didnt cure on completely. I shoot lots of bullets into a snow bank in my yard and can recover them when it melts in the spring and have seen batches of bullets that the pc was stripped off by the trip down the barrel. Anymore i cure at 410-420 for a full half hour and i only use smokes pc. Another thing that can happen is when your pushing a bullet to high velocity even pc'd if its not hard enough it can strip through the rifling and peal off any pc you put on no matter how you do it. You could try heating those bullets back up to 400 or so and water dropping them to make them harder.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lloyd, appreciate the input. Hopefully I will get to the range today and try these bullets with 2400. Thinking back I don't remember seeing this issue with my TC but 12" barrel vs 20 on the H&R could make the difference. It's always good to get anothers perspective on your current opportunity (problem).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Please keep us updated on your results from powder change. I would think it would be incorrect diameter fit or bad curing though.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you have a gas check on the bullet? You still need one if you are over 1500fps. Especially if you are using a gas check bullet without the check. And if you are getting pc in the barrel it is not cured enough. You will need to cook them hotter or longer or both. Check to make sure the temps are correct in your oven. Then set the timer to 20-25 min after the powder goes wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts