Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious since my uncle thought it would be great if one was available. I told him that I did not think that H&R 1871 made any belted cased chambers, and if he wanted to shoot a .338 dia bullet he would have to create one from rechambering a 30-06 barrel to the .338-06 chambering.

What is your thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If I understand, there is a frame strength issue, you should not use belted mags. From what I've read, H&R/Marlin put a survey out to gauge interest and there was not enough interest to make it monetarily feasible to produce frames for belted magnums. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will help me out. ;)

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
Pete's right, the 7mm, 300mag and 338mag Handi-Mags were proposed in late 2007 and listed in the first 2008 catalogs, but not enough distributors placed pre-orders for them so Marlin wouldn't spend the $20k to do the testing on the new frames for them, they never really got off the drawing board. I too had a 7mm on order in late 2007, but was really disappointed when they were canceled just before the 2008 SHOT show. :'(

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts