Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw some propaganda on the new Marlin bolt action centerfire rifles. They are offering .25-06, .270 and 30-06 blued with a black or camo synthetic stock. The black stocked version has a MSRP of 329.00. What I found so interesting, is that it has the "accu-trigger," but it is called something else. Pictures of the rifle showed a barrel nut that looked awfully alot like Savage's. Anyone know what is going on?

Jim

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Anxious to see how this plays out ... I haven't heard anything about this.

bjm

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
DakotaElkSlayer said:
Just saw some propaganda on the new Marlin bolt action centerfire rifles. They are offering .25-06, .270 and 30-06 blued with a black or camo synthetic stock. The black stocked version has a MSRP of 329.00. What I found so interesting, is that it has the "accu-trigger," but it is called something else. Pictures of the rifle showed a barrel nut that looked awfully alot like Savage's. Anyone know what is going on?

Jim
This is interesting. Do you have a link so we can read up on it? Thanks Dale

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I couldn't find anything on the net concerning another Marlin Bolt Action rifle. The only thing that means is that I probably didn't have enough time to search properly before I can decide whether it is true or not. The one thing I could find was an article from 1994 which I believe pertains to the MR-7 before it had a name.

My guess is that Marlin took a bath when they produced the MR-7 back in the mid to late 90's and may still have a sour taste in their mouth from that ordeal and would not be looking for more pain just yet. Although paying royalties to one company for a design is better than the licensing trouble Marlin got into with the MR-7.

On the other hand, it is quite possible that the Mossbergs may be looking to add another company to their gun holdings, which the barrel nut and accu-trigger bolt action Marlin denotes. Marlin might fit nicely with Mossberg, Savage and Stevens.

Anything is possible. I sure would like to see a link.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Have not seen one yet, but the guy at the gun shop the other day said it should be a real good rifle. Looks an awful lot like a Savage if you ask me!!

Josh

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
As always ... good work Mac. This is interesting to say the least. This niche in the market seems to be a strong area for the manufacturers. With Marlin's name and features that seem appealing to the masses, this rifle might do very well if accuracy is acceptable.

bjm

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Thanks Mac. I could possibly see the 25-06 or the 270 in my future. Dale

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
With the different shroud on the bolt, I think that it's a better looking gun than a Savage or a Mossberg. The Remington 710 and 770 can't even come close to looking at good either. It'll probably be a shooter, like most Savages. I'm sure that Savage is either producing the gun, or leasing the rights to the barrel nut and Accu-trigger to Marlin.

·
Registered
341 Posts
So this is true?? I like the looks of it and need a 2506 for the grand kids HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

If the price is right I can see it in the future

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
They should do quite well with it if as said the accuracy with it is good. I don't think they will have the same issues they had when they released their other bolt gun a while back...namely because the market is a lot different now then then.Hopefully there will be a replacement trigger group for it soon enough for those of us who prefer the traditional type triggers...and that they have a stronger synthetic stock than Savage gives out on their budget minded entry rifles..The price seem in line with the others on the market..

Mac

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
If that's the photo I sure don't understand why anyone would say it looks like a Savage. I see no resemblance to one at all in that photo.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I went to that link and from what I saw there is NO Barrel Nut involved, not that I could see anyway. There is some visual resemblence of the trigger group to the Savage Accu-Trigger, but that doesn't mean there is anything inside that is close to the Savage trigger group either. If Marlin copied the Savage accu-trigger without a license agreement there could be big time trouble. I am not saying that is what Marlin did, but that trigger looks awful lot like the Accu-Trigger from the outside. Hopefully Marlin is paying a royalty for using the trigger if it is a Savage copy.

Talk on that link kind of supports the idea that this new bolt action may come from H&R instead of Savage, and without a barrel nut I would agree... so far.

Unless there is a barrel nut there and I just don't see it, this is an in-house move by Marlin. Which by the way, is exactly the same way Marlin came out with the MR-7 in the 90's. (the same calibers too) Although the MR-7 copied something from Ruger, Browning, Winchester and Remington. Everybody but Mossberg/Savage.

You never know what infringements may come to light after they hit the market, and supply is stopped until a legal mess is straightened out. Which I still think is what happened to the MR-7.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts

To my eyes,,,there is enough difference between the 2 triggers so to avoid any infringement..and the barrel nut can be seen in the link provided...it is the image to the left of the barrel crown picture..both can be seen if they are expanded in windows viewer...and agree Bill...it doesn't look like a Savage to me either...

Mac

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
That is not a Savage Barrel Nut, and at least it isn't a press-fit barrel either. It looks like Marlin is going to challenge Savage at their own game.

And to me, there is not resemblence between the Accu-Trigger and the Marlin Pro-Fire system. But I'm not a Lawyer, nor am I a Patent expert.

I thought I was done buying rifles. I have 2 MR-7's and I already plan on buying one of these in Camo. If they turn out half as good as one of my MR-7s, I'll be happy. (my other one is still in the box) I know I'd be much happier with wood, but syn will do just fine.

This could get exciting.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
i really like the design. if they prove to sell for less than $400 and shoot well i will probably pick one up to try out in .25-06. I like the style and the fit and finish look good.

-Matt

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Selling in the mid to lower $300 range, there is no doubt that it's price will get some attention. The real question, however, is if, upon inspection, if it's quality is equally in low as its price. If its quality is noticeably above its already low price, and if it shoots well, then Marlin should hav some success with it.

I don't think that it looks like a Savage, but it sure does have some similarities. I'm a corporate and business litigation attorney (not a patent attorney), but in my limited practice with patent cases, I would imagine that Savage could bring an infringement suit. Whether or not Savage would prevail is another story. However, from a strategy standpoint, I would imagine that Savage would first wait and see how well these new Marlins are selling. If they don't, then I would imagine that Savage wouldn't do anything. However, if these Marlins are starting to sell, and take some market share away from Savage, then I can see Savage filing suit for 2 related reasons: 1) Marlin would be taking market share from Savage, and 2) Savage would thus be able to prove "damages" (an all important element in lawsuits).

Note that I do not think that Savage would wait forever to establish their damages because then Marlin would have some money to pay their lawyers. As such, I would imagine that Savage would file suit at the initial stages when it sees (if at all) if sales of these Marlin rifles are starting to steadily climb.

Truthfully, and as many of you know, I'm more of a Tikka/Sako/Remington/Kimber fan. As such, I am more interested in this from a legal standpoint than anything else. :)

Zachary

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I said it looks like a Savage, I was only referring to the barrel nut and the trigger... Anyone besides Savage makes a rifle with similar looking components? I didn't take the time to read the brochure... Remember, Marlin bought H&R... H&R now imports some of their shotguns from China. Don't remember if the brochure said where the gun is made... ??? She is a nice looking rifle, especially the camo.

Jim

1 - 20 of 35 Posts