Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd try this cartridge if I could find a used barrel, seemed like the ideal pack rifle with folding stock. I was wondering what kind of accuarcy to expect from 21" tube and who made them. Any help/experiences appreciated, I would like to shoot a range of bullets from 55gr v-max to 85gr SP..

·
Registered
370 Posts
I bought a 21 inch TC factory Bull barrel in 6TCU last year and have only fire formed the brass. Hope to work up some loads soon. I also have a 14 in. 6 TCU made by VVCG that I'm shooting metallic silhouette with. I'm shooting the Sireea 85 gr Spitzer in the 14 inch barrel. I shoot a 5 shot group at 200 yds that measured .970 inches.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got a 21" full bull 6TCU barrel from VVCG last year during their Wilson blank sale. We set it up on a composite stock and forearm. My son used it to take his first whitetail in Nov....a little 8 point. I couldn't be more pleased with the barrel. Even with the light weight furniture it will easily shoot sub moa with many loads. I shot one string of 10 with two different weight bullets and three different powders, that went under an inch. Get one, you'll love it.

Rick

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check this link http://www.sportingrifles.com/calibres_for_the_bushveld.htm

This raises the question of rifling twist rate. To be able to shoot 55gr v-max would be good, close to 223 performance I would imagine. To be able to run up to 100gr bullets would also be nice but quite a wide range for a compromise twist rate. What twist rates are you boys using? Also, what kind of speed and trajectory? Would 2" high for a 100yd sighting stay in a 4" kill zone out to 200yds? My hunting standard is a clay pigeon at any range, if the shot will stay on a clay pigeon I know I'm good to go.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an AR-15 upper, a contender carbine barrel and a Kimber 84 in 6X45 and they all shoot great as long as I stay under 100 grs. They do not handle heavy bullets well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a Bullberry 22" barrel that I have had about a month or so. I ordered a 1-10" twist, blue, 6mm TCU match.

So far I have only tried 70,75, and 80 grain bullets. I am getting about 3000 fps - 70 grain, 2850 fps - 80 grain, but I have not tried a lot of different loads.

The barrel is going to be accurate if I can only get all 5 bullets to get with the program. I have a couple of 4 shots in 3/8"-3/4", but there is always one that moves it out to 1 1/4" - 1 1/2".

I think that you can't go wrong with the 6 TCU.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Monkeyman said:
Check this link http://www.sportingrifles.com/calibres_for_the_bushveld.htm

This raises the question of rifling twist rate. To be able to shoot 55gr v-max would be good, close to 223 performance I would imagine. To be able to run up to 100gr bullets would also be nice but quite a wide range for a compromise twist rate. What twist rates are you boys using? Also, what kind of speed and trajectory? Would 2" high for a 100yd sighting stay in a 4" kill zone out to 200yds? My hunting standard is a clay pigeon at any range, if the shot will stay on a clay pigeon I know I'm good to go.
I'm getting an XP-100 rebarreled to 6mm TCU. It's a 1-7" twist. A 7 or 8" twist is what Lilja says you need to stabilize a 100 gr bullet. I have another in 6.5 TCU. It is 8" twist and will stabilize a 160gr bullet. So I guess Lilja knows what he's talking about. I'm also thinking about getting my Remington model 7 rebarreled to 6mm TCU. I'm saving up money for that one. :)
JM

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I went with the 6X47 instead - 18" Brown Precision barrel, Choate stock and have changed to a more compact old steel Weaver 3-9 scope since this picture was taken. Nice rig to carry when the hikes between stands are long on the desert.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.