Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out deer hunting the other day and saw nice fat squirrel. I had my shotgun with me but it made me think of the 44mag snake shot loads I have, but have never shot through my Puma 44mag. Would this damage my rifle? They say that the blue plastic is supposed to break against the rifling and I think it would definitely not be a good idea, but I don't know for sure.

Is it safe to shoot CCI shotshells in the lever action pistol cartridge rifles?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Pretty much a waste of powder and lead. Out of a pistol, most snake loads are pretty useless beyond about 12 to 15 feet. With even the slightest increase in velocity and added friction of the longer barrel, things actually get worse. A nice 240gr swaged Speer SWC over 5 grains of Bullseye in a .44 Special case would make less noise than a cap gun and be plenty accurate for your needs.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Like B-H 44 said, they're not much good at any normal ranges. I've run a few through my 1894C(CCI 38 shotshells), and they actually do hold a little tighter pattern than when fired through my Blackhawk. Even so, I'd never trust them on a squirrel past about 10 feet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have shot them some and the most fun I had was when i was getting ready to leave for a two week fishing trip up north I was putting the mower away and saw a hornet or wasp nest.... After using 45 LC birdshot through my contender with no success I decided to try the 45 LC in my NEF 410 full choke. Man it worked great, patterned just right so I could kill almost every bee, usuall knock down the nest and not hurt the wood in my out buildings....

Since then i make my own wads and don't buy the capsules much anymore... a nice roll crimp holds it in place pretty good... i also use 444 brass for a 2 1/2" 410 shotshell that has been working reall well...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts