Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would appear that the impending change of the guard, POTUS spurred on a mass purchase of any & all AR556/223 rifles. Associated ammo is also scares. I've been surfing the interne & calling gun shops Nation wide & there seems to be no availability. It makes ya wonder if it's just due to the current demand for these firearms or has the "assault" on the 2A already begun?

·
Registered
286 Posts
The "assault" on the 2A began before most of us were born. It is just getting close, real close to the time that tree needs a little watering.

Reactions: tarheel49

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The fireanrm and ammo panic buying started a few months back due to the unrest, but certainly has accellerated since the election. Anyone who was not already prepared is likely going to have to pay the price, both literally and figuratively, because of it.

·
22,464 Posts
psa has complete guns and some lowers and uppers but there almost double in price from a year ago. That kind of pisses me off because im sure most of what they have was bought in bulk back when it was cheap and they being a supposed pro gun company sure should be taking advantage of there long time customers and jacking up prices.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
psa has complete guns and some lowers and uppers but there almost double in price from a year ago. That kind of pisses me off because im sure most of what they have was bought in bulk back when it was cheap and they being a supposed pro gun company sure should be taking advantage of there long time customers and jacking up prices.
The problem is they have to replace their stock, which costs them more so they have to sell what they currently have at higher prices. It's how things work in an inventory-driven business.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't see the outrageous prices on AR's like I did 8 years ago. They are available everywhere for around $700, if anything the AR10 related items have come down.
Just bought a complete upper minus BCG for $260. Ammo yes it goes up and down. Green tips I have seen range from $299 a thousand to over $2000 in 6 months.
I am seeing some other firearms on gun broker for suggest list and they let the bidders run them up. Some go high some not so much. Just have to keep looking.

If the POTUS changes I expect them stopping on line ammo sale across state line. Within the state I don't think they can stop it legally. As far as gun sales you have never been able
to buy over the internet it always went through a FFL anyway.

Doug

·
22,464 Posts
ya but those 700 dollar guns were under 500 bucks a year ago. Where are you getting uppers for 260? I need an m4 upper right now. ive got a complete lower i dont really need but i have a carry handle and dont have a single one without optics so id like to go that route with this one. cheapest ive seen for an m4 is 420 with a bolt. Guns no good without a bolt so if you knock 100 bucks for a bolt off the price your still at 320. I didnt really need this lower (long story thought i did) but when i priced out building it it was just as cheap to buy it complete which is odd. But ive got 225 into a basic complete lower that would have cost a 120 a year ago. So ill have near 650 into a gun i could have built for less then 450 a year ago. Heck they were selling complete guns at the last gun show i was at a year ago for 475. Ammo im not conserned about ive got enough to shoot for years and enough components to probably shoot till they put me in the ground. Why the heck are green tips so expensive???

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Green tips used be $299/1000 w/free shipping at PSA. I just purchased everything to build a 10.5" pistol for about $700. Basically the same gun I built 2yrs ago for less than $500. I started hoarding back when the Klinton mafia was at 1600 Pa Ave. Back when you could buy surplus AKs for $79. Try that now.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Just got a "sale ad" for 5.56/223 Remington ... "in stock", "great price" $699/1000.

My cursory read of the inter webs suggest that many of the new buyers this past year are not historical gun owners. We've got a lot more diversity amongst gun owning Americans that we used to, which I think is a good thing. Makes it a lot harder to pass legislation when members on both sides of the aisle are opposed to it. I think after the spanking Dems just took in congressional elections, they're not going to want to touch the 2A leading up to 2022. And there are some key 2A cases in the pipeline to SCOTUS if I understand correctly. All that to say I'm not sure the panic buying was over fear of infringement to the 2A (traditional reason) and more about fear of civil unrest at the local level (new reason).

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I think my buddy is a pretty good example. He’s said now for at least 3yrs that he really should get an AR. I tend to stay informed, and told him about a year and a half ago that now was the time... Price selection and availability were at their best.

He got one 6 weeks ago. A Ruger at $750 ish no sights and 1 mag. Not a bad deal but certainly no bargain. Now I preach magazines, ammo, and to decide optics. At one point I’m sure he considered me crazy about ammo, that seems to have changed.

His purchase was pushed by the realization that the right to buy an AR might be revoked. I guess he wants to be grandfathered in. He’s no prog, quite the contrary in fact.

Like me in one sense, just didn’t see a good reason to own an AR. I told him I could easily live without one, but would hate to die for need of one. Once set up and supplied they don’t eat any feed.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

·
22,464 Posts
Im still building them. Have plenty but its an addiction. Not because i need more to defend myself. I not only have ars for that purpose but do alot of hunting with them too. Mostly though because there probably the gun that puts the biggest smile on my face at the range. Even the grandkids love them. When i take one shooting I always ask what they want me to bring and i dont think theyve ever wanted to go without at least one ar to bring along. Another big thing for me is there cheap to shoot. At least my 300 bos are. A cast bullet and 19 grains of powder and a primer. I could probably shoot 5 rounds for each 243 or similar round put down range. Not much more cost then shooting 22lr's.

Only thing cheaper to have that kind of fun with is a 9mm ar15. Now thats a gun that will make you smile and costs very little to shoot. No big deal if your idea of going shooting is 20 rounds of ammo. But my idea comes closer to 2-500 most days. Ive got smith ar22 too but the 9s almost as cheap to shoot and feels like a real gun. recoil is about identical to a 556 and there suprisingly accurate at even a 100 yards and they hit steel targets with an authority that a 22lr dreams of.

Maybe im throwing money away if the liberals ban them but i think there'd be a civil war if they tried taking the millions away that people payed hard earned money for. But its not just rhetoric. They are a great hunting rilfe. I took 8 deer this year with my 6.5 grendel and 6 with my 308 ar10. I am hunting deer right now with my 8.5 in 300 bo. I havent killed anything with that gun but have killed a pile with my 16 in bo. Using a 110 barnes its every bit as effective as a 3030. bottom line though is if an ar15 and a coffee can full of ammo wont put a smile on your face your better off buying golf clubs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts