Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don't use a lot of salt in our cooking at home, and what we do add is often mostly finishing salt that just goes on top of things when the meal is served.

One thing I notice about restaurant foods and deli meat is that it's overpoweringly salty now. I just got some sliced deli ham to make a chef salad out of. Yikes! That's salty!

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
They salt the shitt out of food in restaurants to the point where I only go to a restaurant if my girlfriend makes me.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We had an outing over the weekend and went to a chain named Fazolis (fast casual) for a quick supper. I had the spaghetti and meatballs. It should be sold as spaghetti and salt balls. It made me wonder how much salt you can put in food before it becomes toxic.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Just the other day, oldest boy and I went to an Aldi's store by us. Getting a couple extra cases of canned stuff for the storage room. We were checking the dates and he mentioned how much salt,(they call it sodium), in some of the canned stuff. Wow, I knew some canned stuff was high, but some was ridiculous. And they wonder why the general population has such high blood pressure. gypsyman

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
They salt the shitt out of food in restaurants to the point where I only go to a restaurant if my girlfriend makes me.
She makes you!!!!!!!! I almost started to cry and send you a prayer, But Then, it dawned on me that women hold the greatest weapon invented by God.:tango_face_grin:

Since CTL is the op and a mod and all, I'll say something about salt.
"salt is my friend" my BP is usually around 90 over 60 or 100 over 65 if I'm having a stress test.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
She makes you!!!!!!!! I almost started to cry and send you a prayer, But Then, it dawned on me that women hold the greatest weapon invented by God.:tango_face_grin:

Since CTL is the op and a mod and all, I'll say something about salt.
"salt is my friend" my BP is usually around 90 over 60 or 100 over 65 if I'm having a stress test.
Haha I made her sound much worse than she really is, the reality is she wouldn't be my girlfriend if she "made" me do things like that. It's more like she'll give me the "pretty please" eyes and I can't say no to her. I'm actually extremely lucky to have her, she's very good to me and my kids. As far her "greatest weapon invented by God" goes she told me early on in our relationship that "weapon" belongs to me and I can have it whenever I need it so I feel like I won the lottery. :tango_face_grin: Her drive is unbelievably high so she's usually the one asking me, though :tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Haha I made her sound much worse than she really is, the reality is she wouldn't be my girlfriend if she "made" me do things like that. It's more like she'll give me the "pretty please" eyes and I can't say no to her. I'm actually extremely lucky to have her, she's very good to me and my kids. As far her "greatest weapon invented by God" goes she told me early on in our relationship that "weapon" belongs to me and I can have it whenever I need it so I feel like I won the lottery. :tango_face_grin: Her drive is unbelievably high so she's usually the one asking me, though :tango_face_grin:
:tango_face_grin::tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My wife handles restaurant requests by asking me questions like this: What would you like for supper? We can either go to Panera or to Hunan Garden.

That way non-restaurants are completely eliminated from the conversation, and I know that she wants to go to either of two particular restaurants.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sometimes use Mrs Dash its accually some pretty good stuff.

I like to try some different herbs and spices and like to linger over the spice section at the supermarket. I remember mrs dash from long ago. Recently I observed that they are now like the Crest toothpaste company, where they used to have one product that was trusted and popular. Now they have all kinds of variants on toothpaste, like whitening and gel etc,. Too confusing so I quit buying Crest. Same with mrs dash. They have a lot of different products with the mrs dash branding. I also had that experience with V8 juice recently. There's got to be ten different kinds of it now, and I had a hard time figuring out which one was "good ol v8". They call it "original", but the packages all look alike.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
My wife handles restaurant requests by asking me questions like this: What would you like for supper? We can either go to Panera or to Hunan Garden.

That way non-restaurants are completely eliminated from the conversation, and I know that she wants to go to either of two particular restaurants.
Makes for a pretty easy choice.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,969 Posts
I suppose when we cut back at home, which we should, it becomes more noticeable when we do encounter it.
You just let the Geenie out of the bottle.

Certain ham's are very salty and probably should not be used for sandwiches without a desalting soak. Places that sell these hams whole tell you they must be soaked.
I have never found an restaurant that has exceedingly salty food that I can recollect but I have noticed some bags of chips and corn chips are exceedingly salty even to me.
I have fund that sometimes I find the food when eating out horridly lacking in salt but it is better to have to add as you cannot remove.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Salt is a cheap way to get food to taste better (to some). However, my comeback to all the pre-salted foods is that the plant used to remove salt from food only works on liquid, the final product is water and it usually cost a few million. The item used to put salt into or onto food cost 57 cents at Fred's.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Salt is used way less that it was in days past as they used it as their only chemical food preservative. If you look at canning or food storing recipes of generations past, there is an unbelievable amount of salt in there.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Salt is used way less that it was in days past as they used it as their only chemical food preservative. If you look at canning or food storing recipes of generations past, there is an unbelievable amount of salt in there.
That's true, things like salt pork and salt cured bacon have tons of salt in them.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I sometimes use Mrs Dash its accually some pretty good stuff.

True.. This is some of the most misunderstood seasoning around. Mostly because most think that since it was brought out as a salt substitute it cannot be used with salt. I use it on baked chicken all the time and on baked potato rounds that I sprinkle with a salt substitute afterwards. Great stuff with or without salt.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
Conan, since I know you're a music geek here's a salty song for you:

The band is an obscure 60's rock band from Massachusetts named Lazy Smoke, they only pressed about 500 copies of this album so it goes for big money on the collector's market. The singer sounds exactly like John Lennon. The guitarist still plays locally to this day in the New England area.

The guitarist was also in this band called Euclid with a good friend of my father, they cut this album in 1970. My father's friend Gary was the singer. I have a beat up copy of the album that my parents played to death when I was a kid:

The guitarist was later in a band with the guy who taught me how to play bass, I don't think they ever recorded though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts