Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Yogi, I've been pondering your excellent question from day one. I wonder, what do you mean by "required" to be holy and what exactly do you mean by holy?

If you mean is holiness required to be in the eternal presence of God, yes. That's why we sinners must be imputed the perfect righteousness (holiness) of Jesus. We need that imputation specifically because no mortal man can attain perfect holiness. If even one man could have attained personal perfection there would not have been a necessity for the cross.

One definition of Holy means perfection, but only when applied to God. Holy also means (an imperfect) something or someone set aside, dedicated and consecrated for the service of God. Moses stood on holy ground at the burning bush; the Sabbath is a holy day to the Lord; the Temple was a holy place, all simply because they were dedicated to the service of God, not because they were perfect in themselves.

So, "be ye holy for I am holy" (1 Peter 1:16) means we are consecrated to God; it cannot mean we have to attain the perfect holiness of God in this life. However, after death of the body, which must die because of sin, we will be imputed our final holiness through faith in Christ Jesus alone.

Accepting the human inability of sinless perfection does NOT grant a saved and consecrated (holy) sinner a 'licensee to steal'; any real "born again" believer will wish to exalt, not not defame, his God so anyone claiming to be saved will surely demonstrate the changed (but still imperfect) life of a "new creature in Christ." No life change equals no salvation. That's the meaning of James 2:17, i.e., a supposed 'faith' devoid of life proofs is not faith and the sinner is still dead in his sin.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
God's holiness is different than our holiness. God is unlike any other. God's holiness is absolute perfection.

Our holiness is a dedication to Christ that automatically sets us apart from the rest of the world. Purity of heart or dispositions, sanctified affections, piety, moral goodness, but not perfect.

Consecrated to God. We can only live a holy life through the power of the Spirit.

Hebrews 12:14 "without holiness, no one will see the lord".

Through our dedication and faith to Christ, the righteousness of Christ is given or imputed to us. Our sins are imputed to Christ. Christ is paying our sin debt to God.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
yogi said:
Through our dedication and faith to Christ, the righteousness of Christ is given or imputed to us. Our sins are imputed to Christ. Christ is paying our sin debt to God.
I am amazed that in spite of my faithfulness Christ's righteousness is imputed to me! I am Barabbas!

lc

Oops. Edited. Meant to say in spite of my faithLESSness.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
littlecanoe said:
yogi said:
I am amazed that in spite of my faithfulness Christ's righteousness is imputed to me! I am Barabbas!

lc
LC, It is an amazing gift!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
No. Under Judaism one was not required to be perfect. One fate was based on a preponderance measure. Did the scales tip one way or the other.

Jesus said perfection was not required and all sins could be forgiven except one that being blasphemy against God whereas even blasphemy against Jesus himself could be forgiven. Jesus said the path was not difficult though it is narrow. The rules are few but one should pay attention to staying on the road.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
BAGTIC said:
No. Under Judaism one was not required to be perfect. One fate was based on a preponderance measure. Did the scales tip one way or the other.

Jesus said perfection was not required and all sins could be forgiven except one that being blasphemy against God whereas even blasphemy against Jesus himself could be forgiven. Jesus said the path was not difficult though it is narrow. The rules are few but one should pay attention to staying on the road.
BAGTIC,
I believe you are correct in that perfection is not required.

However, I believe we are commanded to be holy.
"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord" Hebrews 12:14

Holiness for man is not the same as God's holiness. We will never be as holy or perfect as God.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
People, including Christian people, get wrapped up in doing righteous things; doing good is good but it misses the spiritual point.

The holiness we should seek is of the HEART. If we have a right heart, a love for our Father and Lord, we WILL grow in doing the right things so He won't be ashamed to call us His own children! If our heart isn't right no amount of good deeds has any lasting spiritual value.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have always been taught that the word "holy" simply means "set apart" .... so, in that case, YES we are to be holy, as we are "set apart" from the world as followers of Jesus....

here is a quote... apparently my "quote" button is not working...

The Hebrew word for holy is “qodesh” and means “apartness, set-apartness, separateness, sacredness”

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Good points Hornet.

The set aside holiness you define applies to things declared sacred to God; a holy house and day of worship, holy cross, altar, candles, etc.

We are instructed to be holy in nature (morally and spiritually perfect and eternally un-defiled) as God himself is holy (1 Pet 1:16). We can't attain that, we are sinners from infancy. A baby's raging anger, lying, greediness don't have to be taught, they are innate.

God will not tolerate sinful imperfection in his heaven so if we were required to be His kind of holy we would all go straight to he77. God's solution to the quandary is that imperfect us will be attributed/imputed the perfect holiness of our Lord Jesus IF we trust him and place ourselves in His holy hands.

We should live honorably of course but God measures the heart because spiritual good works rise from the heart, good works do not produce a holy heart! No spiritual change in heart equals no new birth equals no salvation no matter how we live, holy or not.

Now, the degree of human imperfection some people think we each may have and still get to heaven after "judgement day" varies a lot by denomination. Fact is, no one will ever face a judgement day to decide his eternal home; Bible says that's sealed at the moment of physical death (John 3:18), thus the imputed holiness of Jesus is not only perfect but it also applies to us totally and immediately. (Therefore there is no purgatory.)

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now, the degree of human imperfection some people think we each may have and still get to heaven after "judgement day" varies a lot by denomination.
I don't think that is a very scriptural way to look at things... each of us have our own weaknesses and strengths, and different rates of change... I think the thing to ask is... are you walking in the light? Are you striving daily to be more Christlike? If so, our shortcomings mean nothing...

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Now, the degree of human imperfection some people think we each may have and still get to heaven after "judgement day" varies a lot by denomination.
I don't think that is a very scriptural way to look at things... each of us have our own weaknesses and strengths, and different rates of change... I think the thing to ask is... are you walking in the light? Are you striving daily to be more Christlike? If so, our shortcomings mean nothing...
Just add the slash in your end quote and it will work.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts