Graybeard Outdoors banner

armadillos

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Doc T 
The perfect armadillo gun...

A couple of years ago I swung down to see a high school buddy after going to the SHOT Show in New Orleans. We hunted squirrels and armadillos for an afternoon. I had my Kimber with me and Tim had his Ruger Single Six. I also had one of my custom 1911s, a package we sold as the Ultimate Carry based on an Officer's frame and Commander slide, with a cut-down S & A mag well and high gripped.

I shot several armadillos with the .45 that day and was surprised to see that 230gr ball was not immediately fatal. Each 'dillo had to be shot several times to kill it with hardball. I had left my Hydra-Shok defensive ammo in the truck... wish I'd brought it with me to do some comparison shooting.

I'd shot a few 'dillos over the years with .22s, a shotgun, and an '06... and have been annoyed with one since I made the mistake of trying to be merciful one night while heading back to school... straddled it with my Firebird and the durn thing jumped up and broke off my speedo cable at the transmission!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.