Graybeard Outdoors banner

Article: Self-Deception and the Conspiracy of Optimism

864 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Shootall3 
#1 · (Edited)
https://warontherocks.com/2019/01/self-deception-and-the-conspiracy-of-optimism/

This is written in the context of our military ... but the observations are transferable I think to the context of survival and preparedness. 4 common military failures: overconfidence; underestimating the enemy; ignoring intelligence reports; and wasting manpower. Translated to a civilian: overestimating preparedness, underestimating the likelihood of a crisis, ignoring information (dismissing it as alarmist perhaps) and wasting resources.

Even if you don't choose to consider it from a preparedness perspective, its a great article about what our military is facing today.

#3 ·
Very interesting article. Anyone would be wise to use these ideas put forth in the article. I guess age has shown me I don't have the capability to do what I once could. Also I took some self defense courses that had little test we had to do like timed shooting and hitting a small target. If you could not get it done you had to pay a dollar. It showed us our weakness. I though of the what if game . What if this happens what should I do.
Thanks for sharing opens alot of self evaluation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.