1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Thank God for men like Knox he managed to have artillery where needed weather from Fort Ti. to the hights overlooking Boston or across a river to Trenton He and his men got the job done.[/color]

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
The article said;
"a trained European cannon crew could fire 12 to 14 shots a minute"
I have to say I don't think that was possible. 12 shots a minute is a shot every 5 seconds. :eek:
Of course , if my life depended on it, I could move pretty fast. ;)
Zulu

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Zulu said:
The article said;
I have to say I don't think that was possible. 12 shots a minute is a shot every 5 seconds. :eek:
Zulu
They must of had one of those super secret volley cannon....[/color]

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zulu said:
The article said;
Zulu
Those Hessian 'devils' were doggoned quick!

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
Cannoneer said:
Zulu said:
The article said;
Zulu
Those Hessian 'devils' were doggoned quick!
Sounds like a "Hollywood" gun to me. You can fire them as fast as you want and never have to reload. ;D

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Zulu said:
The article said;
Zulu
The glowing embers inside ignited it - saving time to insert the fuse.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Check out v11 of the American Artillerist Companion page 121 first published in 1804.
Quote When the cannoniers and matrosses know and are attentive to their duty, a field piece may be fired sixteen and even eighteen time in a minute without hearing any other noise but the word fire and the word charge. The above quote is from A.L. Tousards book.
I have a couple more ! and will post them when i find them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Journal of Capt Pausch Hesse Hanau Artillery with Burgoyne in 1777 at Quebec. The minute firings quote "The English managed to fire eleven times, and my men twelve times( N.B. After each discharge the gun is spunged out). If i could have omitted the wiping, which during minute firing is never practiced, and kept right on firing, as it would have been the proper way to do it, i certainly could have fired nineteen to twenty times. But as the other side (Royal Artillery) started the thing, i could not possibly avoid doing the same thing. There is a quote in Stevens Artillery manual a very rare book published just before the Rev -War that cites similar rates of fire. This would have course explained the many one armed Artillery men if they servived the incident.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I have seen here several references to extreme rapid fire. Some of it in the 1700's. With all these references, someone thought it possible. Up to 20 shots a minute? That's a shot every three seconds.
I've been thinking about this. Even if you had 20 prepared charges, powder bag and ball as one unit, stacked right in front of the gun, how do you get them all rammed down the barrel with a firing and priming the vent in between each loading?
Were powder bags attached to ball used in the 1700's? the bag would have to be pricked, a quill of powder inserted and fired with a linstock.
How does one do all that in 3 seconds? How do you even get the ramrod out of the barrel in time?
I'm sure that when life and limb are at stake, a gun could be fired very quickly. 20 shots a minute seems unlikely to me.
Zulu

·
7,289 Posts
Then one comes to the question of accurately measuring time. Not everyone had a Timex or Casio on their wrists in those days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.