Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wanting a handi rifle and set of various barrels for a couple years, but unfortunately missed when they were widely available, to say nothing about the accessory barrel program they used to have. :(

Well things are what they are, and I'm finally starting to put things together. I have a sb1 frame, a 12, 16, and 20 gauge barrels, and have a sb2 frame with 243 and 45-70 barrels. That gets me most of the way to where I want, so so far so good. Need to test fit, as soon as they get out of jail (mandatory 10 day wait in California).

So now to ask you more experienced folks a few questions:

1) Aside from GunBroker, ebay, and these forums, are there any places online that might have barrels pop up? I'll be posting a wtb ad, but since I'm new to the forum I want to participate a bit first.

2) Any gunsmiths anyone would recommend for handi rifle work? I like tinkering, but my experience is limited and handi rifle barrels aren't as cheap as they used to be. There's limits, even with all the info in the stickies, to what I'll personally attempt. Last thing I want is a sear which doesn't properly engage for instance.

3) silly question, but I haven't seen it clearly explained anywhere. I'm assuming rimfire barrels are just offset? Hoping to be able to find a 22 and maybe a 17 hmr barrel but want to make sure it won't require any modifications to the hammer etc. if I'll be using them on the same frame.

Thanks for any insight,
Ocho

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
#2: DIY. We all started somewhere and it REALLY isn't "that hard" to do. A few brass punches, some proper gunsmith screw drivers, and common sense are required. Take digital pictures on your way in. Persevere even if you initially screw it up. Parts are available if you make a mistake, which only extends the time to satisfaction. On line instructions are pretty clear. Once you start your own gunsmithing you won't look back. Settle for PERFECTION. I got started when the triggers on my guns were, to me, "so bad", heavy, with creep, that I took them apart, polished the actions, some got less forceful springs, some shim packs, and put them back together, a few MORE THAN ONCE, to get them lighter and smooth as silk. YouTube is quite a useful tool. Use their videos to cover disassembly, reassembly, and tips. It is quite unnerving, the first time, to disassemble a handgun all the way down to its barest parts as you question your own sanity for doing that or whether you remember how to reassemble its parts into a working gun again. It is satisfying and gratifying to complete the task. After a while, the thrill is gone...your experience and confidence in your own ability grow exponentially.

·
Super Moderator
51,409 Posts
2) Any gunsmiths anyone would recommend for handi rifle work? I like tinkering, but my experience is limited and handi rifle barrels aren't as cheap as they used to be. There's limits, even with all the info in the stickies, to what I'll personally attempt. Last thing I want is a sear which doesn't properly engage for instance.
Wayne York at Oregunsmithing has done work for many here. Oregunsmithing LLC - Pendleton, OR

3) silly question, but I haven't seen it clearly explained anywhere. I'm assuming rimfire barrels are just offset? Hoping to be able to find a 22 and maybe a 17 hmr barrel but want to make sure it won't require any modifications to the hammer etc. if I'll be using them on the same frame.
With the exception of the Versa Pack barrels all rimfire barrels required an SS1 rimfire frame, made in 22LR, 22Mag, 17M2 and 17HMR. VP barrels are offset and will work on SB1 or SB2 frames, made in 22LR and very few 17HMR.

Tim

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
#2: DIY. We all started somewhere and it REALLY isn't "that hard" to do. A few brass punches, some proper gunsmith screw drivers, and common sense are required. Take digital pictures on your way in. Persevere even if you initially screw it up. Parts are available if you make a mistake, which only extends the time to satisfaction. On line instructions are pretty clear. Once you start your own gunsmithing you won't look back. Settle for PERFECTION. I got started when the triggers on my guns were, to me, "so bad", heavy, with creep, that I took them apart, polished the actions, some got less forceful springs, some shim packs, and put them back together, a few MORE THAN ONCE, to get them lighter and smooth as silk. YouTube is quite a useful tool. Use their videos to cover disassembly, reassembly, and tips. It is quite unnerving, the first time, to disassemble a handgun all the way down to its barest parts as you question your own sanity for doing that or whether you remember how to reassemble its parts into a working gun again. It is satisfying and gratifying to complete the task. After a while, the thrill is gone...your experience and confidence in your own ability grow exponentially.
I appreciate the advice. There are a few of these types of tasks I’ve tackled already on my existing firearms, mostly to moderate success or at least not terribly expensive failure. And I’ll keep at it, slowly growing my confidence. I picked up a couple parts bundles from guns scheduled to be destroyed to have backups to work with for my H&rs. It’s really only the expensive stuff I’m worried about at this point, or the stuff with the most serious safety implications.

Wayne York at Oregunsmithing has done work for many here. Oregunsmithing LLC - Pendleton, OR

With the exception of the Versa Pack barrels all rimfire barrels required an SS1 rimfire frame, made in 22LR, 22Mag, 17M2 and 17HMR. VP barrels are offset and will work on SB1 or SB2 frames, made in 22LR and very few 17HMR.

Tim
Thanks for that! Will keep his site bookmarked, and my eyes peeled for barrels.

I recommend buying a spare receiver. Most times they can be had for less than the cost of replacement parts and you can practice on it to build your confidence. Really easy once you do it a couple times.
A solid idea, and one I’ll definitely do when the opportunity arises. Hopefully I’ll stumble across one at a gun shop, dealing with trying to buy one online and getting it shipped to California is both frustrating and expensive. Will just have to keep my eyes peeled!

·
Registered
60 Posts
You know exactly what you want. It's good to focus that way.

I buy 90% from private owners (legal here). It's too darn risky for me over on the internet businesses. A LGS never has what I want, and most are a waste of my time.

I have had 100% satisfaction buying in online forums like this one. Be sure he has been around and is trusted.
My 2 cents

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Put an ad in the want to buy section with what you're looking for.

Not too many barrels for sale anymore but every couple of weeks or so someone puts a good one up for sale.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
So if you can will you explain what your idea of a H&R collection is ? Are you looking for just numbers of gun or are you also wanting to pursue what some of us here consider scarce, rare or very hard to come by. As you have said it ain't like it used to be. When I made the decision back in the early to mid 2000's to accelerate my collecting of H&R's for my entertainment and what I thought could be a good investment over the long term. I was very fortunate to have a job that allowed me thru my overtime to go whole hog head first and for the most part nearly all H&R's were available and for me the golden yrs were 2004 - 2010. If you were to go back to those classified posts over on GBOreloaded site you can see some of the fun we had back then trying to get the deals we used to snark each other for speed of sales I'm talking about minutes or even seconds after things were posted that's where the "I will take it " rule came from. Enough of the reminising. For about the last yr due to medical reasons having both legs amputated I have lost the ability to entertain myself at the level I once did . So I have been selling my collection of all guns giving some to grand children nephews brothers and good friends. Also selling most all of my outdoor stuff camping ,fishing ,hunting wood cuting and spliting equipment gardening and wine making also distilling stuff there were very few things I didn't have my hands in. I have many "special" guns left to sell and a few barrels. I have nearly narrowed down what I may keep til the end Remington 5mm mag rimfire, H&R 17MII, S&W 15-22, H&R .204 Ruger and 2 Anderson AR's. It's not like I won't have any to work on as I inherited from my dad 22 guns my dad never shot guns but went to auctions all the time he was the guy who bought every gun that was not selling and nobody wanted for next to nothing brought them home and hide them in a closet away from his wife my 3 brothers and I split them up nothing fancy but every one of them needs torn down cleaned and repaired/tested before I sell mine. Anyway do as LT Dave says post a want to buy and see who drops in. I am not familiar with commifornia laws but am from IL where our 2nd amendment rights have been violated for ever. Please enlighten me on your laws. Thanks Kurt

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like what the OP is doing. I said he is doing what I did a few years ago.

It is never numbers but various nice guns that happen to be easy to inspect and buy (usually a private sale) that fit in my collection.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'll definitely be posting a WTB, I figured it was good to interact a bit first since it's a forum and god knows the scammers have been out in force the last 2 years. At least this way folks will get to know me a bit, and maybe I them. It's been a huge problem on the ca gun forums I frequent.

As to what a collection is for me, every one of my guns is a shooter. I think rare guns are neat, but the rarer ones I wouldn't necessarily want to shoot as much. As an example I'd love to be able to afford a classic h&h double for instance, but have a nice old greener instead that if I break something in it I won't cry quite as much. So for me the "collection" I'd like is more stuff I'm interested in shooting.

Aside from a couple of frames, I'd love to have a set of barrels that would be handy. 30-06 because that would match my big game rifles, 357max because I already reload 357 and it seems like fun. Versa pack barrels in 22, and maybe 17 hmr, because let's be honest 22 lead free is kinda crap and no lead hunting ammo allowed in CA. A muzzle loader barrel, because I've always wanted to try black powder. A 20g slug barrel because I want to try hunting a wildlife area that is shotgun only.

As to CA laws, aside from assault weapon stuff, magazine bans, 1 semi auto or handgun per 30 days, and allowed handgun registry (for example the newest Glocks that are allowed are gen 3, and limited models of gen 3s at that; something off roster can only be gotten from a ppt and desirable guns like a sig p365 go for about $1600 on the secondary market) which don't impact this conversation there is additional paperwork required for shipping ffls, which ffls seem to hate and many just refuse to do. 10 day wait on every gun, so the ffls charge more to accept transfers. Low rate for a transfer is $100 + $44 DROS, I drive 50 miles for that rate. And CA requires proof of tax on gun purchases or the transferring ffl has to collect. The $250 243 handi rifle I purchased and have waiting in jail currently ended up being over $450. C'est la vie, 10 more years and I can retire to another state. Edit: forgot my favorite, all ammo purchases require a ffl to do a background check, and 500 rounds per month max sale for non ffl holders. That’s been fun during the pandemic, especially because I started late and didn’t have enough supplies or ammo stocked up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up the handi rifle in 243 today, wasn't able to shoot it as a rifle (was at a shotgun only range) but I had a 20g field barrel. It fit nicely so I was able to break some clays at least. Was concerned about it shooting to poa when I got to the third station, but then I realized I just am terrible at that station. With target loads recoil was negligible, which I wasn't expecting since my only other experience was shooting a topper Jr in 410 which subjectively kicked harder. Not sure how I feel about thee synthetic stock with a Monte Carlo comb, may replace it with a wood variety but synthetic is nice for being out in the field.

Brought it home and tested out fit on other barrels I have acquired (12g and 45-70). Both locked up tight, next step will be getting some 243 and 45-70 ammo and testing it out as a rifle. Lot of cleaning to do, I picked up a savage 24 at the same time that was also a ton of fun.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have read and studied the new inflation numbers (due to Ms Yellen), and I feel like the old values on guns are all out of date (and going higher).

All new rifles and hand guns will likely jump up quickly as has already happened with our food, cars, ammo, and housing prices. Buy now before it goes much higher.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Prices are definitely going up. The handi was reasonable because people seem to sleep on 243, the savage was... not. Still I've always wanted one in 357/20, should have just bought one for half the price when I first got interested.

·
Registered
170 Posts
As to CA laws, aside from assault weapon stuff, magazine bans, 1 semi auto or handgun per 30 days, and allowed handgun registry (for example the newest Glocks that are allowed are gen 3, and limited models of gen 3s at that; something off roster can only be gotten from a ppt and desirable guns like a sig p365 go for about $1600 on the secondary market) which don't impact this conversation there is additional paperwork required for shipping ffls, which ffls seem to hate and many just refuse to do. 10 day wait on every gun, so the ffls charge more to accept transfers. Low rate for a transfer is $100 + $44 DROS, I drive 50 miles for that rate. And CA requires proof of tax on gun purchases or the transferring ffl has to collect. The $250 243 handi rifle I purchased and have waiting in jail currently ended up being over $450. C'est la vie, 10 more years and I can retire to another state. Edit: forgot my favorite, all ammo purchases require a ffl to do a background check, and 500 rounds per month max sale for non ffl holders. That’s been fun during the pandemic, especially because I started late and didn’t have enough supplies or ammo stocked up.

That is insanity.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well a quick trip to the local ffl returned some disappointing results. No 243, and the only 45-70 choices available were underwood 305 gr, Underwood 305 gr +p, and Buffalo bore 300 gr magnum. I don’t believe in owning a gun without at least some ammo for it, so the Buffalo bore and the non +p Underwood followed me home. The Underwood seems slightly more reasonable (listed velocity is 2100 FPS, as opposed to 2300 on the Buffalo bore) so I can theoretically test it out. Not sure I’m that angry at my shoulder quite yet. To add insult to potential injury, the shop had a reasonably priced encore in the used rack that started to call my name. I managed to resist for the moment.

Hopefully I can get some cases and bullets soon, so I can load something saner for shooting off a bench. I’m not scared of recoil, but those two loads don’t sound at all pleasant.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately travel for work followed by needing to visit the inlaws has slowed down my progress, but I'll be returning home tomorrow and looking to get back on track and out to the range Friday.

For the 45-70 I broke down and ordered some brass off GunBroker, along with some 3031 from Hogdon and 405 gr cast bullets from Oregon trail. Gonna start them off nice and slow and see how it goes. I have a few more barrels now waiting for me as well, so plenty of stuff to test along with a stock set and a 12g barrel to refinish.

One of the things I've been considering is how to store and transport additional barrels. Anyone have a nice set up they would be willing to share about that could inspire me?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Ok I got an idea I have down in the basement a semi soft sided case that I bought yrs ago to be able to transport 2 take down recurves don't remember the dimensions but it was like 36" x 18" wide maybe 4" deep. I wil have my wife go down in the basement today and haul it up I haven't used it for like 8-10 yrs . I imagine you want to haul 4-6 barrels shot gun and scoped rifles. I don't know who makes it but there are padded materials out there that you can trace the shape of the item then remove material so it fits like a glove in those type of cases. I know when I was working we had sensitve diagnostic tools that came in those types of cases. I am sure someone like Pelican has the perfect case for your use proly run $3-400. You don;t need a bomb proof case just some thing to keep them snug as a bug. Another idea maybe find a resonable priced dbl gun hard case so you could put complete rifle with xtra barrels I would not use the cheap egg crate foam that comes with most though. you are going to have quite a bit of wieght going that route I have seen those with little wheels on one end and handle on the other. I will look at mine and get back with you.Kurt

Reactions: Ocho

·
Super Moderator
51,409 Posts
One of the things I've been considering is how to store and transport additional barrels. Anyone have a nice set up they would be willing to share about that could inspire me?
When I had loose barrels I used a 2-rifle case to carry several, but I quickly learned the best way to store/transport barrels was on their own frame!

Tim
Wood Publication Shotgun Shelf Shelving
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Rectangle

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I could probly sell Eric all the frames he needs but the whole lives in beautiful California thing makes it inpossible. I did at one time do what Tim did then the more I got into reloading and tuning guns it just made way more practical to keep the guns in one piece. Kurt

Reactions: stewmagoo
1 - 20 of 31 Posts