Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Eric go to Wallmart.com they show about a 100 dif. options to think about. Wheeled ,dbl, expensive and cheap ones you aught to be able to find something there. Mine I had in basement was a dbl take down bow case made by Neet but to flimsy for barrels. It was a good size though 37"x12"x5" also I see Turners a Cali Co. has some cases . Kurt

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I like the straps in the case, I tried storing them in a cheap 2 rifle case I had lying around but there was too much movement. Time to invest in a decent case I think, between custom foam and some straps and I can make it work.

Each on their own frame would be best, totally agree. Unfortunately frames are firearms, and as Kurt said in California that makes it a bit of a pain. Almost picked up another sb1 frame on my recent vacation (had to check out how other states gun stores are, turns out you guys have inventory available and there was even a nice h&r with a 20g slug barrel in their consignment rack), but the cost is brutal. Eventually I'll try and get a second sb2 frame, but that'll be a couple months from now unless something turns up used locally.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got everything prepped up, scopes mounted, and ready to take to the range tomorrow for a first test as a rifle. Super excited to see how she shoots!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well that went about as well as I could have hoped! Had a bunch of stuff to do since I hadn’t been to the range in a while, but managed to at least function test all of the barrels and start zeroing some of the scopes.

17 and 22 were easy shooters of course, struggled a bit with the iron sights (might be time for a new prescription, and I’m not so great an iron sight shooter regardless) but ejection was positive on both and I’m ascribing any accuracy issues to my relative inexperience with both the rifle and iron sights in general. Might chop down a rail and mount a rds on the 22, will have to practice a bit and see.

243 was very kind to shoot, whoever mounted the scope on that barrel stripped a screw in the rings so that will need to be addressed eventually but the scope is functional for the moment and I got a basic zero on it. I need to get dies and components, but it didn’t seem to mind the factory ammo at all.

I was a bit nervous about the 45-70, as my powder and bullets have not yet arrived and so the only ammo I had was Underwood 305gr extreme penetrators listed at like 2200 fps along with some even more ridiculous Buffalo bore stuff that I left at home. I won’t say the recoil was pleasant, but subjectively it was lighter than my tikka in 30-06. I was very happily surprised, and don’t think a couple of boxes in a session would be too much. Iron sights again but they were pretty well on at least without any adjustment. I’ll probably pick up a Leopold 1-4 or 2-7 for it, but the iron sights on that barrel were the easiest for me to use and I’m sure I’d be minute of hog out to 100 yards with it after a little bit more practice as is.

The only minor hiccup was with the 30-06 barrel. Recoil and accuracy wise it was very nice, not much more recoil than the 243 in my mind. I credit the compensator, and the addition of an upgraded recoil pad, but it was far nicer to shoot than any other 30-06 I’ve tried. Most folks I’ve talked to about H&R’s have suggested the recoil was rough, and my experience has been the exact opposite. Accuracy wise it was within about 1.5 to 2 moa with random factory ammo and a poor to mediocre shooter, which is better than I expected. Unfortunately the extractor (or ejector, didn’t compare it to see which it is) completely failed to grip the rim and so was useless. Fortunately the cases mostly fell right out (the opposite of my experience with other break action 30-06s) and I had brought a cleaning rod with me just in case so it didn’t even really slow me down. Definitely the next thing on my list to work on. Fortunately the stickies are pretty comprehensive, and the links on the other site work nicely so I’ll be doing a lot of reading over the next couple days.

Primers all looked good, uniform strikes and no signs of any pressure issues in the cases (although I’ll do a more a careful inspection when I clean them) along with steady lockup on the barrels with 0 fitting was a nice surprise. That was probably what I was most concerned with. Not that I’m adverse to learning, but I prefer learning on things that are cheap and easy to replace.

I had a few other projects to work on (all of which well too, it was a very productive day), and got called out of the range early to see a friend about getting a hunt scheduled for duck season, so that was where my testing ended. Next time I’ll focus on a single barrel, and dial in the rough zero a little better as well as focusing on more practice. But honestly I have to say that I love this little rifle. Especially since I shoot lefty (cross dominant) and working a bolt with my left hand feels awful. I definitely see this being my primary hunting rifle once I get all the kinks worked out and a bit more familiarity with it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
a note on heavy recoil, try wearing a pad. all jokes aside about it being a maxi pad or what ever, i think it eliminates at least some flinching and there fore bad habits with rifles that are expected to be heavy thumpers. i certainly dont relish the idea of a sore shoulder the next day and have nothing to prove about being manly.
i do agree though, these seem to be gentler than other guns. i always hated a 3030 until i got a topper in that cartridge, it just has no recoil. the only H&R i ever thought had heavy recoil was the slug guns, but they all kick hard except the gas operated.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Nice to see you got out . One thing I found on my compensated 06 was I really wanted it to shoot 165-168gr but could not make it happen but found 180gr Remington got to less than2" I never did go to load developement as 30-06 is a not allowed caliber for big game in Illinois. Congrats on the range time. Kurt

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wear a pad for shooting clays, I should start bringing my vest to the range. No reason to beat myself up!

The 30-06 load I using today was 150gr federal soft points, nice easy load. I have a couple boxes of Hornady 180gr gmx that I'll test at some point, hopefully it likes them. Been the only CA hunting legal 30-06 I've seen for a while, hoping the Barnes production gets ramped out now that vista is working the Remington situation out. Especially if I want to hunt with 45-70, as I don't like the monoflex bullets since they require a shorter case and that's just asking for trouble imo.

Deer season in my area starts next week, so will have to stick with my tikka for this year. Not sure if I'll make it out much, might use it as an excuse to scout for quail as much as anything else. With the complete lack of water I imagine it won't be a productive year for anything. 5" since last July in the area I am planning on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well I spent some time today looking at the 30-06 ejector, and from what I can tell it drops below the rim of the cartridge at the very start of ejection. It seems like it has plenty of spring power, the ejector just doesn’t quite catch the rim.

So possible hypothesis:

1) the ejector hook is worn. I don’t think that’s the case, the edge doesn’t seem rolled, feels fairly crisp.

2) the spring is bad.

3) the ejector isn’t installed correctly or the pins are bad,

4) the ejector needs to be shimmed slightly.

Any thoughts from you experts? Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I definitely need to get out to the range more. Been more focused on getting ready for duck season, but the handis need to be shot.

Took handi rifle #3 out today, with .357 mag and 45-70 barrels.

Musical instrument Air gun Wood String instrument Trigger

Zeroed scopes, then walked it out to 100. Both barrels shot reasonably well with random ammo selection (125gr xtp over 16ish gr of 2400, and underwood 305gr extreme penetrators), between 2-3 inches at 100. After about 12 rounds of the 45-70 I decided to take it easy, and stuck to 357 for the rest of the day. Still need to load up something a bit tamer for longer range sessions but it's definitely doable. Was in a rush so I left the pad at home, which would have helped. The 90 degree heat wasn't doing me any favors either.

Overall very happy with this rifle, and with more time behind it and some trials with different ammo I think it'll be more than good enough for it's uses, which is mostly poking holes in paper. It has a pretty stock I think, don't want to be dragging it through brush too much. Had a good time, and look forward to taking it out again. With luck I'll be able to get some shooting in next week.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
442 Posts
Yes. That is some good looking wood! Gorgeous

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Today was sorta a bittersweet day, as we did the final walkthrough of my father in law’s home and prepared for the estate sale. Since there is no one who will be living in the home any longer, we also boxed up the firearms and prepared them for transfer to me. They’ll have to go through a background check and 10 day wait (I’m not his direct child and my wife was his step daughter, so normal CA laws apply), and them I’ll take them home and hold them till my son is ready to take his first shots with his grandfather’s guns.

Included was the 16 gauge Topper 158 that motivated me to dig into h&rs and convinced me I could get just 1 or 2 receivers… I’ve got a few youth length 20 and 410 barrels I’ll test for fit, and a youth length stock set I’ll put on when my son gets old enough. I was going to refinish the existing set for him when he got big enough to use it, but his grandfather’s name is painted on the side so I’ve decided to leave it as is.

My son will also be getting his Remington 510, I’ll be replacing the missing trigger guard (already arrived from numrich) and the missing buttpad. The S&W model 10 with a 1.75” barrel will stay with my wife and I, I think she’ll appreciate being able to shoot her dad’s gun when we go to the range together. Finally there is a SA 22 revolver that we didn’t know about; my father in law was really into westerns and this gun really reminded me of him when we found it. Unfortunately I strongly suspect this isn’t in any way safe to fire; the timing is suspect and you can still fire the gun when it’s on half cock. No brand markings, model name reads as liberty 8 and a made in Germany stamp.

It’s good that my son will have some connection with his grandfather, even though he probably won’t remember him very well if at all. He was only 3 1/2 the last time he saw him at Christmas of 2019. At least my wife and I will be able to share some stories while when we take him out to learn to shoot, and keep his memory alive.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts