Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted after the SHOT Show that I had pinned T/C down and got a promise that the G2s would be ready by mid-April. Low and behold, I just talked to my FFL holder and he said one had arrived over there for me. I'm not sure how fast production is going but this is a production line gun, not a prototype, so hopefully they will be generally available now. Just thought you guys might like to know.

Dan Johnson

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
OKAY NOW DAN,

These are some things we all want to know and since you are the only one we know that has one it is up to you to let us know about it.

1. How much does it weigh with standard stocks on it?
2. How is the trigger and can it be made better? (important)
3. Do your Contender barrels really fit like they should?
4. How about the safety?
5. Do you really like it or do you think Contender frames will get expensive really fast now?
6. Are Silhouette shooters going to like it or is this just a hunting weapon?

I'm sure there are other questions and someone else will be asking them so I'll sit back and read the responses.

Sixgun

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sixgun;
The gun is still at the shop and I won't be able to get over there til Monday but will check out the weight, trigger, etc. then and get back to you. I did have an opportunity to shoot a prototype back in September and liked it. It will be interesting to see though how the producton model stacks up.

Dan Johnson

·
Registered
189 Posts
DAN YOU MUST BE A VIP. I CALLED MY LOCAL GUN SHOP (WHERE I ALREADY HAVE A G2 PISTOL AND A RIFLE PAID FOR) AND I WAS TOLD HIS distributorS HAS NOT GOTTEN THEM YET .THE SHOP I DEAL WITH receiveS SOUTH JERSEYS SALES REP SHOW MODEL. SO HE WILL BE THE FIRST ONE TO GET ONE.. :evil:

BUT IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THERE STARTING TO SHOW UP ON THE MARKET.. :evil:

I CANT WAIT TILL I CAN GET MY T/C FIX HERE IN SOUTH JERSY.. :lol:

BUT THANKS DAN FOR THE INFO IT WAS A RUSH :D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hey Dan, IS IT IN YOUR HAND?

I still dont beleive it.....nothing but a Myth.....
Bucknbass, where in Jersey are you? Must be down near Glasboro? I am from Mt.Holly. (exit 5)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Robert YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL BY ALL THE TYPOS IM DOWN HERE IN MILLVILLE ,BUT I KNOW YOUR AREA MY WIFE WORKS IN BURLINGTON

ALL I KNOW G2 HAS TO COME SOON MY PISTOL PERMIT IS RUNNING OUT :D

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
:evil: yep, had one come in at my local shop. i missed it! sold before i seen it. :cry: now the next delivery will be june :roll: i guess i can wait that long. can't believe i missed the first one here. :shock:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Barrel length!

The older contender barrels in certain calibers are going to get real popular. 32-20's, Hornets in 10" length are what over 90% of shooters use in NRA Hunter Sil. 10" is the maximum allowable barrel length. I understand that G2's minimum barrel length is 12". I guess the custom shop and aftermarket guys will be happy selling 10" barrels at a premium price. I will keep the 2 10" barrels I have for sure./

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
:p all i know ol boy is i'll be fondling my G2 while your laughing your hinny off and making fun. patience, thats what i have,patience. yep, my local shop had one come and go already. :eek: mines coming in june :shock: we'll see how much laughing goes on then :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
A local dealer got one in this week. He kept the first one for himself. He said he had to give up a couple other rifles, I think the 17's to get one. I looked at it for just a second and it feels a lot like the encore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I had a quick range session today with the G2, although it was cut short by pouring rain. I didn't know in advance which barrel they had sent but was pleased that it was a 30/30 with open sights. I grabbed a box of of Winchester 170 gr. loads and went to the bench. The trigger pull is outstanding. Didn't weigh it yet, but it was crisp, light and clean. Improvements over the old Contender; Very easy to open. You can cock and uncock the hammer as much as you like without recocking the gun. The combination safety and firing pin selector is slick. Three positions; rimfire, centerfire, and safe in the middle. You can leave it on centerfire or rimfire and forget the safety if you wish. In other words, it is unobtrusive. I also mounted a Burris 3 to 12 scope on a .223 barrel I had and it fit the frame fine. I would guess the price of old contender frames will go down, not up.

Dan Johnson

·
Registered
289 Posts
Anyone wanting to throw their old frames away 'cause the new G2 is here can throw them my way. I have a big dumpster I'd be happy to fill with them...called my garage! :) :lol:
Helicopter Bill

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'll second what Helobill had to say, with the exception I will not use a Dumpster/Garage, but rather will find a better method of disposing/storing them.

Larry

·
Registered
90 Posts
I seem to remember signing up for a frame from a special run of G2's. Anybody else remember anything about this? It was so long ago that it might have been ia a previous life.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't believe anyone suggested that old Contenders would be discarded. The question was asked, would they increase in price? Again, my guess is they may go down in price somewhat for the following reasons; We have not had new Contenders produced in a while so the price is now inflated somewhat by supply and demand. Even if T/C just started making the old Contender again, prices of used Contenders would likely drop a bit. Add to this the fact that the G2 is superior in many ways so many people will opt for the new model rather than buy used. Like I said, just a guess.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You are absolutely correct Dan. I am like a lot of people, set in my ways. I guess that is part of the reason I have never owned an Encore, I just prefer the Contender as we knew it. The Contenders are just like an old friend, I am familar with them, know what they can and can not do. As time goes on and the G-2 becomes more readily available more and more people will be using them and before long they will be like the old friend, we will know what they can and can not do.

Larry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SD Handgunner;
The Contender has lots of fans for good reason and while I certainly see no cause to sell a perfectly good Contender to buy a G2 I'll bet the new version will be just as popular, maybe more so.

I don't really care for the Encore either. :)

Dan Johnson

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm curious about that new grip angle? Wonder if it's enough to make transitioning between a Contender and a G2 a little awkward when you have one of each at the range?

·
Registered
318 Posts
don't remember when I bought my first contender,sometime in the mid 70's. have taken them apart and put them to gether(more than once sometimes), I have an encore that is fine for what I use it for. If the G2 is like the encore I dought I buy one. If I'm target shooting, I can set the trigger up to very light and if I'm hunting, I can set it a little safer if you know what I mean. Just not a nessary for me at this time, but than that is why cars are not the same shape and color, to each his own. good luck to those who wants one, if they'r anything like the encore they should be adequate.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts