Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the final touches on the T3 6.5x55 sight it. Hornady Light Mag, 129grn. This gun is so freindly it likes many different types of ammo. Today 3 shots touching at 100yds. I am not this good. This really gives me confidence for a 200+ yard shot. Put my tree stand up today in some pretty heavy winds. Probably not a smart thing to do. All set. I am going to hunt for a buck for a few days, however what I am after is a young deer for meat and beer stix. That is the definition of this years trophy. Man I sure like that 6.5x55!!

Buckfever

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Congrats on the gun Buckfever, it sounds like you got a winner (which Tikkas almost always are.)

I too have been looking at the 6.5x55 cartridge. I have heard many, many good things about it. Did you know that in Scandanvian countries the 6.5x55 is akin to our .30-06? Well, even more surprising is that they routinely use the 6.5x55 with 140 grain bullets to kill many moose every year! I know that shot placement means alot, but I personally would have thought that a hunter would need at least a .30-06 with stout 180 grain bullets on such a large animal. You learn something new every day.

Zachary

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
zachary - the 6.5 Swede is sooooo underrated it is almost comical. There are folks here who will tell you that the 6.5 is only good for varmit (thankfully nobody really listens to those guys) but the truth is that the 6.5 Swede has regularly taken much larger game and is more than up to the task for that.

The 6.5 Swede is an incredibly accurate cartridge, from all I have read and experienced. My M38, sporterized, groups so very well at 100 and 150 yds that I feel I am good for 300 yds if the shot presents itself. This rifle shoots S&B factory 131 gn soft points so well that I feel I would be spending unnecessary time and $ trying to get it to shoot better than it does now and I'm taking it on my next Elk hunt (my backup will be my Swedish 8mm........). Mikey.

·
Registered
392 Posts
:eek: I had a custom98 Mauser that would put Prvi Partizan ammo into 1/2 inch. I had to sell it and it broke my heart but just put CZ 550 American on layaway and it will be my primary hunting rifle. I'll put a 3-9x40 Burris Fullfield on top and never look back. I have no problem popping an elk with my swede. I took my goat at 275 yards with one shot from my mauser and couldn't ask for anything more. Great round and kills much better than it's ballistics would indicate. Jess

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
That sound like a winning combination, to me !

My 6.5 Winchester M-70 Featherweight/Leupy 2-7X grouped as good for me with Norma 156gr ammo, so I can hardly wait for the deer opener in a few weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts