Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these searching the web and i am definately gonna order a box. They seem like they would be a pretty good bullet. Guess its just something unusuall and different compared to all the other 44 mag bullets.

http://missoula.bigsky.net/western/cbip/b429303.html

· Registered
534 Posts
I order quite a bit from that fella ... lives a few hours from me in Missoula.

HOWEVER, he does not do custom sizing. Those are .429 dia. and my 44 mag barrel slugges out at .432. I'd love to give them a try, but not gonna happen in my barrel. :(

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent ordered them yet will do so by the end of the week. what powder would you recommend. I'm just now havin time to start reloading for my 44.

· Registered
534 Posts
I have spent the last few months using 2400. I have some pretty good loads worked up with that and Hiornady's 300gr. XTP bullet.

I just recently ordered a a few of these from Beartooth - they are cast, 265gr. Have a meplat of .340 and I ordered them sized to .432. I'm gonna try H110 with these.

2400 is a good powder, but it seems most folks are using H110 for heavy loads. Thought I would give it a try too.

· Registered
534 Posts
I took a soft (emphasis on soft!) round ball, generously lubed the barrel well with rem oil, took a dowel rod of the appropriate sixe, and gently hammered the ball thru.

Used calipers to measure the outside dia of the ball after being pushed thru.

There are kits you can buy to do this from midway and other outlets. I just had the round-balls handy.

· Registered
534 Posts
Varminter,

I just noticed you are in E Tenn. You need to talk to JPH45 on this forum. he's in Mentone, Alabama (just south of you) , and knows A LOT more than I do about cast bullets in general, and more about this particular Handi Rifle in 44mag. He's spend a good bit of time working to get his shooting well. Apparently his bore slugged out at .432 like mine.

Drop him a PM, I'm sure you be pleased with the info he'll give you.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprized if he pops in on this thread soon.

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks i'll wait and see if he pops in. If the bore is oversized i dont want to waste my money on these bullets. I've heard alot of people talkin about sluggin the bore but i never knew the process of how you do it. Was it very complicated?

· Registered
534 Posts
It takes about 5 minutes in all ... I sluged mine becuase the 44mag Handi's are notorious for being a bit large in the bore. I did try and shoot some cast .240gr'ers that I bought locally (sized .429) and they keyholed at 50 yards. :eek:

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did you do it? I had saw some posts about the oversized bore of the 44 mag awhile back but never really payed attention to them, but now since i'm gonna start reloading the 44 i would really like to know everything i can. It might save me a bit of money and a whole lot of time.

· Registered
534 Posts
MtJerry said:
I took a soft (emphasis on soft!) round ball, generously lubed the barrel well with rem oil, took a dowel rod of the appropriate sixe, and gently hammered the ball thru.

Used calipers to measure the outside dia of the ball after being pushed thru.

There are kits you can buy to do this from midway and other outlets. I just had the round-balls handy.
Did you miss this post?

· Banned
796 Posts
I have a mold that throws LBT WLNGC 320 grainers at about .432 if you want to try them. They have been tried in a Handi but did not work very well. Too long for their 1/38 twist I think.

I ordered these for a superblackhawk pistol that slugged at about .4315. It shot as good as anything out of that revolver but nothing shot as well as I wanted it too so it's sold but I still got the mold! :lol:

I thought I might get another .44 some day. It will be a Handi if they ever get their twist right. Anybody know what the Rossi twist is?

· Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think they are .454. So all i have to do is lube up the barrel and push the ball through? Then use my caliper to measure the ball. Sounds quite simple. Guess i better hunt those round balls up and do it tonite before i order these bullets. How hard is it gonna be to push it through the barrel considerin it the ball is quite larger than the bore of the barrel. .454-?.429?

· Banned
796 Posts
I had to use a hard rubber mallet to start the balls I used. Once the muzzle shaved the ball, the mallet and dowel go down real easy.

Try measuring starting at both ends to give you a measurement at both the breech and muzzle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.