Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I recently aquired an August jung drilling chambered in 16X16 8.57mm. Unfortunately I received it in pieces, I have gotten the receiver assembled and working as it should but I’m missing the fore grip assembly and stock I know this is something that’s going to next to impossible to finish but the receiver and barrel engraving are beautiful and something is telling me to keep pushing to complete this gun again. If anyone has any information at all to wear I could find parts for this or no of someone or something it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Scott

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Wow! Just wow! Good luck in your endevour.

·
2,381 Posts
Hello! I recently aquired an August jung drilling chambered in 16X16 8.57mm. Unfortunately I received it in pieces, I have gotten the receiver assembled and working as it should but I’m missing the fore grip assembly and stock I know this is something that’s going to next to impossible to finish but the receiver and barrel engraving are beautiful and something is telling me to keep pushing to complete this gun again. If anyone has any information at all to wear I could find parts for this or no of someone or something it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Scott

Drillings were hand made. Do you have a machine shop? The missing parts and stock will need to be made.

On the underside of the rifle barrel there should be several proof marks and several numbers, 3 or 4 in a row. Do you have pictures or can you share the numbers, which will tell you when the drilling was made.

The other option is to send it off to a drilling smith, there are several in the US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have a machine shop in mind. Based on the re-search I’ve done the gun was made in 1937 I will upload some pictures. I wasn’t aware of a drilling smith located in the u.s you wouldn’t know of any by chance would you?

·
2,381 Posts
I don’t have a machine shop in mind. Based on the re-search I’ve done the gun was made in 1937 I will upload some pictures. I wasn’t aware of a drilling smith located in the u.s you wouldn’t know of any by chance would you?

There is Lee LeBas on Az, JJ Pernot (SP) in AR or OK.

PM me for their contact info.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Redbeard - I didn't see in what part of the country you live in, but there is an excellent gunsmith in TN that specializes in older, antique, and unusual guns. His name is Roy Dexter who owns "Antique Guns". He restored an 1851 muzzle loading "Cape Gun" for me a couple years ago and a friend's (original) Spencer rifle. His work is 1st rate and his prices are reasonable. He is a two man shop with a partner who helps keep his "considerable" stock inventoried. PM me for his number, if you are interested, or you can probably find him "online". Best of luck in your project; for "drillings" are a treasure beyond measure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
J&G gun smithing in Granite Bay CA gets in ODD stuff every now and then , I have acquired some projects it took a while to get finished but could not hurt to try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts