Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm now 0/3 on attempts to get a custom mold made for my 2" Whitworth to make hollow base lead bullet type (like a foster's slug or large airgun pellet) projectile.

I thought I had a machine shop lined up that did custom racing parts, but he got really busy and then had a family illness to take care of.

So, I thought I would throw the question back out there again. Does anyone know of a shop that would be willing to take on a custom mold build?

·
7,090 Posts
How about a dimensioned drawing?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a quick and dirty one I made, based on a pseudo-airgun pellet design (with the narrow portion designed to fit into the mouth of steel powder cases I was planning on having made.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I saw a post from Glenn on another forum that showed what I thought was this mold, and a reference to sending it to his new customer in the USA.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, sorry, folks.

I got the mold in late December while I was out of state.

I’ve been pretty busy with work and a couple other projects (like getting an MLE 1866 Chassepot in firing shape and making paper cartridges for it), so I have been able to cast with it yet.

The mold is beautiful and Glenn did a fantastic job.

I’ll try to get some pictures up in the next day or two.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really wanted to be able to post some pretty pictures of the new projectiles I casted with this mold, however, that will have to wait.

I did a fairly lengthy casting session last weekend, needing to cast up a bunch of projectiles for my 1864 Burnside and my 1866 Chassepot. When I had finished with those, I decided it was a good time to try out some cannon projectiles.

I learned some valuable lessons.

1. Casting in the garage with the door open in 14 degree weather is not a good recipe for trying to cast large projectiles. The lead constantly was hardening in the ladle before I could even get much of it in the mold

2. My ladle is too small. I got what was supposed to be a 2 lb capacity ladle which should be big enough, but I could get enough into it and into the mold before it hardened.

3. My Lyman Mag 25 is probably too small a smelter for this job anyway. If I could get the mold under the faucet, then it would probably work okay. However, that space under it is just too small. For it to work, I would need to cut metal off the bottom plate on the smelter and then put the whole thing up on a stand, to get additional height. I might try that. Or maybe I just need to get a bigger rig for making these large projectiles.

I'm still pretty much a newbie at casting, so maybe trying to jump into large cannon projectiles was a bit ambitious. Hopefully, I'll get the logistics of this figured out and then I'll do a post on the mold and the projectiles.

I will say that the stumpy half projectiles I was able to cast fit into the powder cases beautifully. So I know this concept will work. I just need to put some more thought into the mechanics of it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Really cool mold !! Having the mold is almost as fun as having castings. Looking forward to seeing how they come out.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
The mold looks real nice. The taper on the center post will help with release and the sidewalIs on the skirt look thick enough. Surprised to see a sprue cutter on a mold this large.

The best projectile quality (no voids or wrinkles) will be when the mold is up to temp and you can do a fast pour. I usually re-smelt the first four or so projectiles getting the mold to temp in addition to preheating. When the mold is too hot to handle with welding gloves, it’s about right. Handles would help.

It’s easy to go through a LOT of lead. Replenishing the pot will cause the temp to drop so while you’re waiting for the pot temp to come back up, leave a projectile in the mold to keep mold temp.

I use a large propane burner with a big cast iron pot.

·
22,961 Posts
even if it doesnt cast well or the bullets a turd its pretty enough that my wife would probably let me put it on the tv stand in the living room.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Hopefully, the sprue and cutter is large enough to serve as a riser. My main casting issue is small pinholes / voids at the very tip from contraction. These are more of a concern with large hollow base projectiles then round shot as you dont want a hole that extends from the tip to the hollow cavity.

Can learn a lot by studying the recovered projectiles.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Zulu, who made your 3" mold? I'm still trying to find someone to make a 2.20" mold.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Zulu, who made your 3" mold? I'm still trying to find someone to make a 2.20" mold.
Someone made it for me a longtime ago. He actually had it made at a machine shop and gave it to me as a gift.
I have cast lead, zinc, aluminum, and concrete balls out of it.
I have sold over 600 concrete balls.
Zulu

concrete balls

lead balls

Shiny ones on the left are aluminum

1 - 20 of 32 Posts