Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes TWO!!

I was able to hit the range today. Couple weeks back I found the base loose on the 300K H&R... I have shot it allot and reciently the Boogers haven't been as accurate. I assumed the barrel was fouled. But I found the real problem.

I fixed it properly and got to shoot it today. Short time back I had to remove the scope from the 454 H&R. I replaced it and need to re-site it. So I took both along with my Ruger 300K, a Marlin 22 magnum I also re-scoped and my Mossberg MVP 223.

I started with the 454 cause I figured it would be close... Well it was, for two shots. :) On the third, @ 50 yards I was suddenly a foot high and 8" to the left. :eek: :eek: I adjusted and it was OK for three shots then way out, then out the other way. The elevation turret is toast... I put it away.

Took out the 300H&R... It was WAY off?? I got it back straight and was shooting my 125g HP load under 1" & little high at 50. I moved to 100 and it was still 1.5" to the right and 1" high. I adjusted 4 clicks to the left and fired again... 10" low and 8" to the left? ??? I know I didn't do it, but fired again, almost in the bull. Moved back to 50 fired 4-5 more into a 2-3" group. OOH MAN... whats going on here ANOTHER scope problem???
I decided to pull the scope off the Marlin 22Maggie and mount on the 300... Now it shoots 1.5" at 100 with my 125G HP load. Its OK, but little low as I had to shim the rings for a hairs clearance.

The first scope was a Weaver 2.5x7 and the second was a much older but always solid Bushnell Banner. I know I can send the Weaver back. Ill wait till I get the Kaspa I bought last week and return the VR7 but the Bushnell Im not sure if they will do anything for me. The scope is about 30-35 years old and truth be told, owes me nothing.

SO, at the end, the Handis let me down today... The Ruger was shooting its usual a boring 1/2 MOA and the MVP was also doing great at 1/4 MOA. I tried a new loading with a 65 BTSP Sierra. WOW It was a lil hot and cratering primers, but DAMN, ONE HOLE AT 100y!!!! I never did even shoot the 22 Maggie.

CW

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Re: Bad scope'S!!!

investigation at its finest...........never quit til the problem is solved 8)

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts

cwlongshot said:
The first scope was a Weaver 2.5x7 and the second was a much older but always solid Bushnell Banner.

Now Bri... :-\ I ain't gonna snicker or chastise just 'cause you seemed to have ignored your own advise. ::)

BTW, now that I think on it, I ain't never had a Leupold break down on me! ;D

·
Registered
3,384 Posts

That MVP sounds like a winner.
I guess someday I'll have to get a 223 just for fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts

yep i have gone thru the same crap.even the ones i have sent back are still crap some of my real cheap ones are going strong better than my nikons witch were a disappointment.my real old scopes are better some how.i give all the bad ones now to my grand kid's to play with.don't waste my time returning them.good luck with yours.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts

my .444 ate 2 before i put the K-4
on top that's on there now. i still
have yet to fire a few foulers, so
hopefully it's still hangin in :-\

·
Registered
664 Posts

AtlLaw said:
...BTW, now that I think on it, I ain't never had a Leupold break down on me! ;D
I have, sorta. I loaned Pops an old 4x Leupold (that he gave me as a kid, 25ish years ago) a couple of years ago to put on one of his Handi. Long story short, if it hadn't been for an excellent custom BMC deer-finder to catch the crippled beast, that scope failure would have cost Pops his only lost deer in his career.

Scope was zeroed at 100yds, then suddenly was about 18" low at 50. He hit the buck (he personal best, btw) about 6" above his front hoof.
True to form, Leupold replaced it (too old to fix, no parts available) with a spiffy new one.

·
Registered
556 Posts

I don't know if it's a trick or not but, I have a Leupy that didn't seem to be tracking right so I put the front bell against a mirror and look through it while adjusting. When close to centered where the crosshair and mirror image coincide it tracked fine but as I moved the turrets off a little they got erratic and sticky. It will be going back...

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I asctslly had one that I suspected had slow/sticky adjustments.

I remember a conversation about inner working of the older leupolds. They repaired it and I was happy.

You are correct Richard!
Usually Weaver makes a good product I have one or two and have had them in the past. This one was bought with a rifle off gun broker and immediately replaced... With a Leupold, of coarse. :). It was shelved. It's supposed to be a nice lil rimfire scope. I wanted it to be a black out scope. I'm pretty sure the PO new it didn't shoot right. The turret turns and nothing happens.

The Bushnell is a old one. I got it from my Grandfather with some of his things in his will. It was a spare for him. It's a older Banner with the switchable reticule like the Scope Chief had. X hair and a Command post. I guess the 454 was too much for it. :). I got it on paper at 50 with four Ruger level 45 colts. Then switched to 4-5 200 FTX & H110 I had loaded. These are warm not really hot. Then my accuracy load of a 300g Speer JHP Gold dot and 296. Three rounds. In the second the impact dropped 8-10". ::).

Last night before I left for this trip. I remounted a old Tasco 4-16 AO on the Marlin 22 mag a 2x7x33 Leupold on the 454 and a red dot on the 300. I have two Leupold in the cabinet.. BOTH actually have been on this 300. Both are great but I alsways seem to want more magnification. So now I have no magnification. :)

My KASPA should be at home now. I'll check with momma later. That's going on the Mossberg MVP. OOH, Sheridan, YES it's a awesome shooter with its loads!
I have settled on a 60g VMax and 22.3g H322. Shoots HONEST one hole at 100 yards. But opens a bit at 200 to just over 1". I tried .5 more for 22.7 and accuracy at 100 went to 3/4". So I did not even try 200. I loaded some at 22 to try next. I'm getting 2900 with the 22.3g. It's fine I just always want better. :)

CW

·
Registered
12,510 Posts

cwlongshot said:
. . . . But opens a bit at 200 to just over 1".

awwww! ! that tears it ! ! i'd throw the thing in the river and not look back :(

:D i'm old enough to remember when a off-the-shelf moa rifle just didn't happen.
these days, for some reason it's barely acceptable.

good luck with it ;)

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

[/size]You can thank computers for today's out of the box MOA or less on most firearms. CNC machining has made unheard of tolerances capable in mass produced goods.
[/size] In my opinion H&R's demise was due in the most part from the "old school" methods they used to build firearms.Had they invested in modern machine tooling and got their quality control in hand they would be alive and well today as there is still a viable market for single shot shotguns and rifles.
[/size]Enough of my off topic ranting................
[/size] It would seem that scopes are like sheep they are put on this earth to get a fella in trouble. I have had expensive scopes and cheap ones too fail me at the worst time, either in the middle of a match or during a hunt.
[/size] My most dependable scopes are a mix of Leupold, Redfield, and steel cased El Paso made Weavers.
[/size] I guess it just boils down to what day of the week it was made and how big of a hangover the assembly person had they day they are made
[/size]George

·
Registered
12,510 Posts

jeepmann1948 said:
. . . I guess it just boils down to what day of the week it was made and how big of a hangover the assembly person had they day they are made
George

^ ^ ^ kinda like any other manufactured product you can mention or think of . . :D

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ranger99 said:
cwlongshot said:
. . . . But opens a bit at 200 to just over 1".

awwww! ! that tears it ! ! i'd throw the thing in the river and not look back :(

:D i'm old enough to remember when a off-the-shelf moa rifle just didn't happen.
these days, for some reason it's barely acceptable.

good luck with it ;)
Hahaha. I know I know...
But when you can shoot a bug hole group at 50 AND 100 YET IT opens to FOUR TIMES THAT at 200. I blame instability. I have found sometimes a little extra "kick in the pants" can cure this. This time it didn't, so I'll try the opposite, less of a kick. ;)

Worst case I can shoot the 22.7 load and be happy.

Just striving for better here, I surely ain't complaining!!!i

CW

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Well I got them boxed up and shipping back to there respective companies. Bushnell and Weaver. Each want 15$ return ship with a money order. This is a PIA for me... but momma was able to get them at the grocery for me over the weekend. ;D ;D ;)

I started a thread over in the optics area. With a question, but its not getting much views... :-\

I was wondering if anyone had incite/experience dealing with either of these companies for warranty repairs...

Weaver is lifetime, so don't expect a issue... Bushnell should be OK too, but this scope is 30-35 years old. Not looking for something for nothing here...

CW

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Ol said:
I have yet to send mine in but I hear good things about Iron Sight. They repair Redfield and Weaver.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I sent it in the weaver optics repair... :-\ :-\ :-\ On the web site that's the address they provided...

I think I used Iron site now that you mention it...in Texas?
I have a special old Redfield 3X Post, that has a cracked objective lens... They could not fix it. :( :( :( :( :( :( I kept it, hoping maybe one day or someone would have parts to repair. I watch eBay occasionally looking for one, but then think its as much "A" scope as "THIS" scope. It was my grandfathers. I cracked the lens with a ring too far forward. :-[ :-[ :-[

CW

·
Registered
12,510 Posts

i still have my dad's old K-4 that was on
his marlin. one day at the range i had to
visit the porta potti really bad, and when
i came back the guy to one side was standing
there and my gun was on the ground. (concrete)
he said "i was fixing to come find you. the guy
that just left knocked your gun off the bench
and took off." he had. the guy to the other side
of me had knocked the rifle off my bench and
got scared and took off and left his fresh target
posted and left a pack of targets. he never even
shot any. just grabbed up his stuff and left. it bent the
K-4 pretty good and broke the retaining ring
off the objective. it won't adjust to center now.
the one place says $275.00 minimum to repair.
i just keep it in a box as a memento. :'( :'(

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts

cwlongshot said:
I was wondering if anyone had incite/experience dealing with either of these companies for warranty repairs...

Well, since you ask... ;D

I've posted this before I think. :-\ But anyway, many years back I bought a Bushnell Spotting scope on sale from Midway or Mid South which I eventually knocked off a shooting bench. I sent it back to Bushnell with a check for the $20 return postage they required before they would even look at it. Seems to me I had to call them to find out what was going on, but in any event they quoted a repair fee that was almost as much as I paid for the scope originally! :eek:

When I told that to the female CS rep I was talking to she replied that what I said couldn't be correct! :eek: I had them send the scope back to me. :mad:

That was when I swore I would never buy another thing from Bushnell. :(

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

OOH boy well like I said, it really owes me nothing. I missed that story...

Altho it was my grandfathers it holds no real sentimental value. His Redfield 2 3/4 was the scope I remember being on his '06 every fall. Not being able to have that scope on his rifle does bother me... Its wearing another Bushnell 1.5x4 post, identical to the broken one I returned.

Bushnell makes a good product, but I don't really own any per-se.

Thank Richard!

·
Registered
12,292 Posts

In the end, its all 'just stuff'. I always seem to get rid of 'broken stuff', or re-purpose it, 'cause otherwise it causes me aggravation to look at it....
Scopes that wont track or have broken crosshairs can make a decent 'spotting scope'. I have pulled the remnants of crosshairs out of a couple and tied on a neck cord. With the cord the right length you can just pull it up with one hand and the eye relief is right to get a good view in the woods.
A few Ive thrown on a gunshow table with a note that says BAD SCOPE for FREE and they have gone away to live at somebody elses house ;D . No more aggravation for me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.