Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gosh! My first post! What better topic than a rifle?
I have noticed that some of you have SPR 18s (aka Baikal IZH-18MH) and have reported "good" accuracy.
Would it be possible to have some actual measurement of groups at...say...100 yards? With a scope at a benchrest? I am close to buying an IZH 18 in .223 simply because they are so low in price and they appear to be simple and sturdy. I like single shot rifles and I also like the takedown ability. Unfortunately I believe the .223 only comes in a 1:12 twist and I would prefer 1:9 but I guess I have to live with 1:12. This would seem to indicate bullets such as Hornady 60 gr or Nosler 60 gr PT for maximum size.
I think I will probably use a 2-7 Bushnell Legend or maybe a Banner 4-12 on it for now.
Greetings to one and all from the wet warm part of Canada.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi There,

My Baikel MH18 is chambered fro .222 Remington not .223 and using some factory ammo this is how it did:-

Now this was not on a range but in the wood so it's not 100 yards but about 80 paces. My rifle has a 4x scope fitted and it does nto like 55 grain Boat tailed bullets as you can see here:-

Some of the bullet holes are not round so stabilisation is marginal with these long bullets. I tried the Federal first hence the notes on adjusting the scope and it was taken at closer range to see easier and save walking to the target all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, at last, empirical data. Just what we need.
Brit: Do you remember the velocity?
Ponca: 1" groups at 100 yds with a .308 - excellent. .308 is my second choice because of its versatility.
After perusing a number of forums I gather that Baikals must be a new arrival in the US. They have been available in Canada longer and they seem to have gained some popularity among shooters who appreciate no frills functional guns.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Sorry but I don't have a chronograph an it was factory ammo. 55 grn federal American Eagle for the poor grouping boat tailed bullets and 50 gran Gamehead (soft point flat based) Sako which shot better. I will see if I can take it with me to the range next time and shoot it again for record. Trouble is I am working with a P-H 1200V in 6mm and that is taking up range time with load development.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts