Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any made here in the USA? I have looked at alot of them and it seems they are all made in China or Korea (like almost everything else). I would like to buy one, but want to stay away from the cheap made brands. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The cheap little Ambassador is a great reel. I have used them for many years. I don't know if you have been around them much, but you might want to think about whether to get a Left-hand reel or a right-hand reel. Most people grow up using an open-face spinning reel, with these, you cast with your right hand, and reel with your left. A right-handed Bait-caster is the oposite. So what happens with right handed people and a right handed reel, is that you will cast with your right hand, and then switch it to the left hand to crank the reel with your right. A left-handed reel is cast with the right and you continue to crank with your left hand. I have seen too many times fishing Steelhed, the fish hits the moment the bait hits the water, and I was busy switching hands and didn't get the fish.
After getting used to using it, you can still use your old Spinning reel with-out fumbling.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Seems that Zebco made some nice baitcasters here in the USA a few years ago. If memory serves me, they called them Quantum..or something like that.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
American Made

Check out...................Shakespeare Reels. Made in Columbia, SC.
Check their web-site. They make a good baitcasting reel(s). Life is good.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience".

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am glad somebody still makes reels here. Robert you are right I have little experience with bait cast. I have plenty of open and closed face reels and have used bait cast in the 60's when growing up, so I am sure they have improved. I am right handed but use the left some too, so I will look into it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Oh Yeah....Bait Casters have come a LONG ways since the sixties. Can't even compare a spinning reel to it when you have a big Steelhead on. Bait casters are a 'retrieval machine'...very smooth. My little ambassador has a really sweet drag. I also have a big Ambassador for Sturgeon, but the larger one is not as smooth operating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts