Which do you prefer, pistol grip or trigger for your rods used for;

1.) Spinnerbaits

2.) Plugs - Deep Running

3.) Top Water

Me I prefer pistol grips for everything except deep running plugs. Lawdog

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is a whole lot on the personal side of preference. I don't own a pistol grip rod that isn't over 15 years old. Around here, they are rare, very. Most stores keep only 2 or 3 pistol grips amoung 300 triggers. There is a lot more leverage to be gained with a trigger type handle.

Skipper

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skipper,

Yeah I know they are rare around here too. You don't find many in catalogs either. That's why I was forced to start making my own rods. I just find that it is easier to roll cast with a pistol grip. Preferring shallow running lures, spinnerbaits and such means roll casting is 80% or more of my fishing. Sorry for getting so personal. :) Lawdog

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I still have a few of the pistol grip rods. They are seldon used. I have gone to longer rods for most applications and actually prefer the trigger. I find they work well for me on underhand roll casts as well as two handed lobs with Carolina rigs. Just got used to them I guess.
Good Fishing,
Savage

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I use the 7' trigger rods except when using a spook.That rod is a 6' berkley. My worm rod is a 6'6" Allstar WR2 with a trigger grip.I have one 6" lite action rod that's a pistol grip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts