Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with this? What is the best bait, any how should it be set up? Also, what are the drawbacks/benefits of this?Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Dave,you are setting yourself up for a letdown,if you bait triggers for coon.What you will end up with is a bunch of sprung traps.Coon will try to grab the bait with their paws--not their mouths.
Instead try a baited bucket set,or a large dirt hole,with the coni at the entrance and bait in the rear.[Check your laws on legalities]. Tom

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
coon, triggers, bait

Yep listen to Bog as he is talking straight. Also use a bucket or box for coni that is at least 2 foot long. Here in Wis if you use a 220 it has to be recessed back into bucket 7 & 1/2 inches. This is to keep hounds or dogs fm getting whacked. If you use too short of a box to house coni coon will reach in instead of going in bodily to get bait. Sometimes coon dont like trigger in thier face and will reach in or refuse to work box. I use 160 conis and take coni and put it so trigger is at top and bent parallel to top jaw only approx 3/4 inch down and has eliminated coons reaching in. Also it pays to put foothold traps near coni boxes as some will not work your box no matter what but will work dirt holes. I pick up approximately 15 % of my coon this way and alot of them are the BIG boars or larger than average coon .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts