Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
24,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best method of preparing them? Oven, microwave, boiling? Really dumb question I know but I usually used the gill while cooking other things.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
If you have the time, I've found the best way is to rub with a little olive oil or butter, sprinkle with sea salt, wrap in foil and cook right on coals. But, the microwave works just fine if you wrap them in a paper towel and wet the towel well.

·
Registered
11,969 Posts
:cool:Man that picture takes me back.:cool:
When I was in college at Bemidji State College, our dorm had a built in, INDOOR charcoal grill. (You don't see those any more.)
We baked potatoes just as that photo shows and a wave of nostalgia hit me big time when I saw it.:cool:

There is no potato better than one cooked over direct heat, i.e. flame or red- hot coals.
There is a difference between a flame and a electric oven.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
"Thanks, I tried the microwave once and it came out tuff as a boot."

Yep, that's why you need to wrap them in wet paper towels and don't overcook them. Yukon gold's seem to work best in the microwave.

·
24,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Thanks, I tried the microwave once and it came out tuff as a boot."

Yep, that's why you need to wrap them in wet paper towels and don't overcook them. Yukon gold's seem to work best in the microwave.
Thanks, I knew I screwed up somewhere.

·
24,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow casuall what you said about the wet paper towels worked. Thanks for the advice bro.

·
Registered
16,171 Posts
I don't mind nuking them a bit then foil wrapped and in the coals or on the grill in indirect heat for the smoky flavor, think I will fire up the Weber for the first time this season and get a burnt offering going for this Sunday.

·
22,198 Posts
like them on the grill wrapped in foil with butter and onion inside. I also like them cooked in a pressure cooker with a roast. It seems to almost push the flavor of the roast into them.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
the last decade or so, i've been putting them in the micro.
they get washed first, then put in nekked for 6-7 minutes
depending on the size of the potato. this is a 1100 watt micro.
then when that's over i wrap in a sheet of foil, shiny in, and
i set them on a pot holder and cover fairly tight with another
pot holder or doubled dish towel while i finish up the other
stuff. i've never had tough baked tater this way.
my mother came up with this method somewhere, but i don't think
it was her idea originally. it's worked in every microwave i've tried
it with.

( i should also add that this ^ ^ method makes 'em SCALDING hot! !
use caution when you unwrap it )

·
Registered
336 Posts
Clean spud and leave wet, use Saran Wrap or any other type of microwaveable safe stuff, 7 minutes in the nuker for a good sized Russet; golds or Reds may take a bit less time. And voila, Bob's yer Unkl an yer tater is baked.
Or, in foil over a grill, rubbed and seasoned but the campfire special with them wrapped in some broad leaf and cooked in the coals is always a favorite. IMO only ....

·
24,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PHP:
Clean spud and leave wet, use Saran Wrap or any other type of microwaveable safe stuff, 7 minutes in the nuker for a good sized Russet; golds or Reds may take a bit less time. And voila, Bob's yer Unkl an yer tater is baked.
Or, in foil over a grill, rubbed and seasoned but the campfire special with them wrapped in some broad leaf and cooked in the coals is always a favorite. IMO only ....
Casul gave me a good recipe, it sure was good. Casul did your momma teach you that:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
What's the best method of preparing them? Oven, microwave, boiling? Really dumb question I know but I usually used the gill while cooking other things.
Not a baked potato if cooked in boiling water or MW:tango_face_wink:

Seriously, It will not taste the same if not done in the oven. Similar if cooked on a grill.

·
Registered
7,740 Posts
So do ovens work?
Last time I asked the cook,she said ours did.When the wife is in a hurry, or just lazy,she cooks them in the micro. Not bad,but not as good.Something about that skin browning on the spud that gives them a better flvor.At least to me.

·
24,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last time I asked the cook,she said ours did.When the wife is in a hurry, or just lazy,she cooks them in the micro. Not bad,but not as good.Something about that skin browning on the spud that gives them a better flvor.At least to me.
How did she say to do that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts