Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old Sportco Martini Hornet, a factory conversion of a BSA 310 Cadet rifle by Sportco in the 1950s.
It has a .223" bore and I'm stuffed if I can find a decent bullet for Hornet that is ballistically efficient.
Sierra makes a couple of bullets, a 40gn and a 45gn, but both are more RN than SP and they're pretty poor ballistically.
We're talking BCs well under .150.
Nosler used to make a Ballistic Tip Varmint and Hornady used to make a V-Max for the Hornet but both are not on their sites anymore.
What's going on?
I realise that there's a OAL limitation for .22 Hornet with the old magazines but surely SOMEONE makes a decent bullet for this cal?
Any help?
Alternatively, is it worth getting good .224 bullets and swaging them down?
What is needed to achieve this?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
0.001" over size is not going to effect anything pressure wise normally in fact Ken Waters almost insisted on bullets being at least 0.001" over groove size to seal the bore properly. He makes a comment in his 270 pet laods when he dscovered that most American 270 Win barrels were not of 0.277" grove but at least 0.278" the comment was I believe that we have been shooting undersized bullets unbeknown for years.

So Kombi really I don't see what your problem is here.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, so I should just be careful about pressure signs as I would when reloading any cartridge with standard diameter projectiles?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Forget finding a high BC bullet for the Hornet. It would`t make much difference if you did because the velocity is not high enough to make a lot of difference. Just except it for what it is, a nice little round that is not to loud and still a good 200 yrd. varmint round, fun to shoot and cheap to reload.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, in other words, suck it up, enjoy it and stop trying to turn a Bug into a Bugatti? ;)

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
What are your exaptation's of the round?
I bought one about 15 years ago thinking it was a small 223 and was expecting it to reach out there like a 223. I put a large scope on the little rifle and tried all kinds of ammo thought mine to get what I was thinking should be a 200 yard rifle.
After buying a 223. I changed the scope to a simple 3-9X38 Weaver and started to shoot the 46 grain HP rounds from Winchester.
The gun is a joy to shoot out to 150 yards and is my back up rifle for Javilina and works well for Coyotes and ground squirrels around So Ca.
The larger slower bullets work well on Game.
2600 + or - a few feet per second is going to be a good round and give you ballistics like a 308 With 180 grain bullet.
When shooting squirrels it does not give you the big style points like the faster 223 or 22-250 but they are a lot quieter.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good question. My best shot was on this sucker........

200yds over the roof of a '71 VW Bug using .224" cal Nosler 40gn BTs.
Awesomely accurate but I had issues with the rifle.
Swelled chamber and primers flowing back around the firing pin into the firing pin hole.
Cases stuck fast.
The barrel needed to be set back and fully rechambered and the firing pin sleeved.
Cost me $400 (what the rifle's worth!) but it was a gift from a friend and worth the spend.
I'm just concerned that the extra thou may've added to the pressure, although I think the chamber swelling was from way back.
It was always difficult to extract.
Anyhow, it's just not as accurate with the .223" Sierra 45gn SPs and I don't think they fly as well.
That and I want to try it at 300yds at a match next year, just for laughs really.

BTW, it's wearing a Tasco 3-12x40AO Mag IV scope. Cheap but cheerful.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My CZ 527FS loves 40Gr Nosler Varmageddons. They have a ballistic tip and seem to be accurate. I have been led to believe that the CZ bore is .223 for the 22 Hornet. I have shot some Hornets loaded with 52 Gr Sierra Matchkings, the reaction from the steel gong is much more pronounced than with a lighter bullet. Both the Nosler and Sierra bullets are .224 in diameter. I have never seen any overpressure signs from either one.
FM

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried 2 Nosler 40gn BT loads in the Hornet yesterday that I'd loaded for it when the chamber was bulged.
Even though I'd FL resized them they stuck fast.
Personally I think the brass was to blame, that and old dies I had were some very badly abused Lee dies.
Now I have some Lyman dies which are really good.
I'll tried loading the Noslers with new brass and go from there.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Catfish said:
Forget finding a high BC bullet for the Hornet. It would`t make much difference if you did because the velocity is not high enough to make a lot of difference. Just except it for what it is, a nice little round that is not to loud and still a good 200 yrd. varmint round, fun to shoot and cheap to reload.
I agree 100%.

Your overthinking this. Find a good load and enjoy the rifle.

CW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.