Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after owning my Encore for about a month and a half now I finally got to put some lead down range with 'er. Since the weather here today was a bit blustery and a cool 40 degrees I didn't make this one a marathon session.

First up was the 24" .223 barrel. Due to the weather and the fact that I haven't gotten a scope mounted on this particular barrel yet I opted to only shoot at 25 yards with the open sights. I like the open sight set-up in that it is adjustable for windage with a screw at the hinge point. Most of these fold-down leaf type sights require smacking them with a hammer to drift them where you need the bullet to go. I only adjusted left to right since I was shooting so close and it printed about 1 1/2" high to start off with. The only negative I see with the open sights is the front bead. I like the fact that it's white, howerver it's just too darn big. I would have perfered something about 2/3 the size. Anyhow, the rifle printed a nice three shot group about 2" to the left of POA. After only one adjustment she was sitting 1 1/2" high dead center. The last five shot group I fired was one ragged hole about 3/4". With a scope I think this kinda accuracy will continue at 100 yards easily.

Next was the 209X50 barrel. I absolutely love the fiber optic set-up. I haven't gotten my scope yet for this rig so, again, I stuck to the 25 yard limit with open sights. Not to say I won't shoot further than that with open sights, just didn't have the time to go for multiple distances today. Loading was easy at first and became progressively more difficult using Pyrodex pellets and T/C Cheap Shot sabots. I wasn't really all that impressed with the initial grouping. Was hanging out about 4" left and 2" high and clustered. The more I shot the worse it seemed to get. I decided to begin cleaning every other shot. After moving the sight around a bit and getting it closer to the bull I decided to try another powder and bullet combo. I loaded with 100 gr. of Triple 7 with a CVA Powerbelt with the green plastic tip. On a seperate target and with a two-shot group I ended up with both shots touching - felt better. And, the powerbelt was much easier to load. I have high hopes for this combo at 100 yards.

This was my very first experience with the T/C Encore. Never owned a Contender either. I am hooked for sure: encoritis. I loved breaking open the action between shots. Felt kinda cool, like some african big game rifle or something. Recoil with the .223 was pleasant and the 209X50 wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I'm used to shooting a T/C Renegade flintlock and this in line stuff is just so darn smooth.

Both barrels are wearing gray laminated stocks from Boyd's. Not only does it shoot good, but it looks good as well. Again, totally pleased with 'er so far.

:grin:

Ranger413

·
Registered
90 Posts
scoping the 209/50

this can be the mother of all nightmares if you try to use a high magnification scope, save yoursel aggrivation and put a fixed 4 on her. Ther have been plenty of posts aboout this on this forum. If you already have a scope, the best rings to use are the Burris with the internal shim packs. You'll need the .020 set. :shock:

·
Registered
90 Posts
low power scope

:roll: I've done several posts on this in the past, but to refresh; A high power scope is limited in its vertical and horizontal adjustment to the field of view at full magnification. I.E. a 3.5 x10 has +/- 22 inches wheras my 4 power has +/- 40 inches. In my personal experience I've seen 3 out of 5 205 owners mount the higher powers and were unable to get on zero at 100 yard because they ran out of adjustment. The type of base did not seem to matter nor the type of scope. The only common thread was the use of sabots. no one used big lead slugs so I can't speakl to that . In these three cases we used the Burris rings with the internal shims to mechanically align the scope with a bore sighter before using the scopes internal adjustments. As these rifles are only used in shooting deer in Michigan, we have advise using the 4 power fixed since then with good results. I think the root of the poroblem is poor engineering at T/C. Maintaining the correct position of the mounting holes on the barrels would be tough at best. Sorry for the slow reply, I was in Mexico

1 - 3 of 3 Posts