Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving home about 10:30 Thanksgiving night after spending the day with family on
Thanksgiving when I passed a target, Best Buy, and gander mountain. All were open and a lot of cars in the parking lot.

What kind of barbarians have we become. We have traded a holiday of gratitude for another day of shopping.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I need a haircut but I will not go to the mall today. There is a local place that is more expensive, But I really want to stay away from the mall today. Thanksgiving used to be about familly and friends.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Thanksgiving was about family here. Kids, grandkids, and great grandkids were all here yesterday. It was nice 75 degree day and enjoyed by everyone.

I did my Black Friday shopping early today. Fired up the computer and ordered the wife's Christmas present. With that I'm done with shopping. The freezing drizzle hat was forecast is here and supposed to stay around thru Saturday night. I'm just going to stay in the house where it's warm.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I think it is horrible that these stupid stores are open on Thanksgiving now. When are people supposed to spend time with family. I heard some coworkers whining about how we have to work holidays so why shouldn't a store clerk? This might be among the dumbest things that I have ever heard from people who are generally smart. We went into our line of work knowing that we would have to be away from our families during the holidays on occasion. It is the nature of the beast. These professions must be operating 365 days a year. Don't like it? Find another job.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holidays are not small things. They are evidence of how a society thinks life should be lived. I think we set a bad example for ourselves.

About the 24x365 jobs, we need those and I remember working some and didn't mind working holidays because we always made it up somehow, like celebrating Thanksgiving on the following Saturday. Even convenience store/gas station workers are what I consider to be important. I can tell you that the ones I know are happy to work on holidays because they get a substantial boost in pay on those days. One gets 2.5 times her regular pay working on Thanksgiving at a C-store.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I was never paid extra for working a holiday. It was just another day as far as the organization was concerned and if my shift fell on a holiday I worked. Sometimes we might get a small bonus or a gift card for a meal. I never really minded working a holiday. It was usually a quiet and easy shift because society suspended it's stupidity at least temporarily.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Of the people i know, who work retail like working the holidays. I have 2 kids working at Cracker Barrel. One made $200 in tips yesterday. Other one works in the kitchen, made 8 hours time and 1/2. Both of them volunteer every holiday.

With that said, I know others who would just assume set home everyday and get paid.

Where does the "bargain with satan" come in?

Lonny

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
Our Thanksgiving was about God, family and friends and we have done no shopping. We don't much care what others do, they just don't affect us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts