Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting the finishing touches on the 45 Carbine for hunting and decided on a split ring barrel band rather than drill the forend. I had to polish the flat mating surfaces to get it tight on the barrel but even when I put more force than prudent on the Allen and slot screw it still slips a bit radially. Is there any reason that it's not a good idea to put a bit of epoxy under the band?
BTW, this gem in 454 Casull is putting 240 XTP Mags over a middle dose of 296 literally through the same hole at 50yds (after I tightened the scope base). My load is crossing zero at 50 and almost dead on at 100yds but 6" low at 150. Probably should check 75 yds since I bet that is top of the trajectory. Sweet rifle and cartridge, glad you guys talked me into it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
GROVTEK barrel bands recommend that you put a drop of threadlocker between the barrel band and the barrel when installing it. I have a couple on shotguns that haven't moved after several years. Also need to make sure to get the proper size, small enough that it clamps to the barrel tightly when the two halves are tightened together.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts