Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new barrel today in mail. It's a 1 in 9 twist which I have a 1 in 12 and wanted something that would shoot heavier bullets so I got this new one... see pictures to help me. The new barrel seems to fit snug yet release lever does not come all the way up like on the old barrel and the new barrel will break open with out too much push on my part ( not using the release lever) observe the bullet does not go into the barrel all the way.... as it does with the old one and the ejector looks different on the bottom. Can anyone explain to me what issue,( issues) are going on here? Thanks. And NO I'm not going g to shoot the fool thing till I KNOW I have everything figured out... thanks. the old barrel has the scope on it. The new extractor does not look the same as the old one, either a slightly different design or missing a piece or,???

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did move tge extractor piece forward with my finger and bullet does go in completely. Either it's just not closing to work the extractor/ejector? Correctly or the extractor/ejector has problems... im thinking since it's not locking closed the release lever is not clearing so its not locking up.. im sure this all sounds like stupid questions but ... just asking.... probably be a trip to my gunsmith....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks lije a second generation ejector after looking at the help section. Probably take it to my gunsmith to fix it. Just cause I'm "appt" that I would risk something blowing up in my face.👍😉

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Close barrel till it latches.

Hold sideways up to bright light.

If any light between the barrel and breech face is visible then barrel lug is too long for your receiver.

This is the first step and will help you determine the next.

Always do this first.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Don't jump too far ahead.

Do you have a gap between the barrel breech end and the reciever? Did you hold it up sideways to a bright light?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes a gap. Don't worry, I'm not going to destroy anything. I'm inept enough that I will take it to my gunsmith... im just trying to learn what's going on and what's involved in the fix.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. The reason the barrel catch can't get fully latched is the dimension between the pivot hook and the breech face is a little too long, preventing a flush fit between the back of the barrel and the receiver.

The fix is to either remove a little metal from the pivot hook (at the front of the lug) or remove a little metal from the barrel breech face (at the back end of the barrel). Both will do the job. Removing from the hook won't change headspace. Removing from the breech face will reduce headspace. Have your smith check headspace to make sure it is good before deciding which way to go. It only takes a little bit of removal, go slow and check often.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Yes a gap. Don't worry, I'm not going to destroy anything. I'm inept enough that I will take it to my gunsmith... im just trying to learn what's going on and what's involved in the fix.
Your gunsmith can more easily explain the fix as he will have the gun in hand to see where the "gap" is. Less than an hour labor in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
There can also be a gap in back if the lug is too short. In this case the latch may catch but the barrel will be loose and will move from side to side when twisted by hand. In this case a shim at the front pivot hook would be needed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts