Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a pretty good deal for a Remington 700 bdl custom deluxe in 270. I see from Remington's site that they offer the standard BDL and ADL for 270 in a 22" barrel, and this one for sale is in that length. I have no need for such a short barrel, and I am wondering what kind of velocity loss I would expect compared to a 24". Part of the reason I would pick the 270 as a deer rifle is the flat-shooting nature of the bullets, and the availability of different weights. How much do I lose with this barrel, or are factory loadings in the 270 designed for this length? Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
It depends on the the bullet weight you are using. The faster the velocity, the more velocity percentage-wise will be lost.

Generally speaking, you should loose about 20 fps per inch removed. Thus, if you are talking about a 22" barrel, and thus a 2" loss, you are talking about 40 fps slower.

Granted, I like shooting 24" barrels in this cartridge, but this is not a big deal. In fact, I own a Browning A-Bolt-I Stainless Stalker and it has a 22" barrel also. I haven't shot at long distances, but at target shots up to 200 yards, you really can't tell the difference.

Some people go as low as a 20" barrel on the .270, but 22" is the lowest I'd go.

Zachary

·
Registered
300 Posts
My experience in 35 years of shooting and chronographing .270's is that with the 130 grain you will easily achieve 3100-3180 fps in a 24" barrel and about 300-3050 in the 22" barrel. There are other variables, but the difference is generally closer to 75-100 fps rather than 40 fps.

Most factory 130 grain ammo in 22" barrels achieves about 2,950 fps. The good news, is that they seem to kill pretty well.

My custom .270 is going to have a 24" barrell but if you have a goood deal on a rifle and if you hand load, you can get 3100 fps in a 22" barrel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On average about 80fps difference between the 22inch verses the 24 inch barrel length. I like a 24 inch barrel on the .270, my wifes is a 22 inch feather weight. A prohorn or deer will never know the difference with a 130 grain bullet. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.