Graybeard Outdoors banner

barrel length

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  savageT 
#1 ·
Do you fellas feel that a 24" barrel for a .50 cal is long enough or should I try for something longer. The reason I'm asking is that the factory TC encore barrels are 26" yet only 25" are rifled. The other inch is their QLA system. Wondering what kind of velocity I would be losing if I were shooting say a 295 gr power belt in the two barrels. Thanks a lot. :D

#2 ·
:D Outlawsix. If it helps any, you loose or add roughly about 50 fps per inch of barrel. I have not heard of any of the guys that shoot in-lines complaining of losse of projectile speed in thier rifles. If,fer instance the fps is 1800,what you would gain with another inch is probably not not worth worring about for a hunting arm. Plenty of ooooommmmf there...King

#4 ·
outlawsix,
I think it depends on the twist rates. With a fast twist 1:28, a short barrel is adequate and with slow 1:66 twists, the longer barrels are superior....also give you a longer sight plane to improve accuracy w/open sights.

#6 ·
outlawsix said:
It is the 1-28" twist.
That will work fine....If you look at a hawkins you'll see that T/C uses a 28" barrel w/ 1:48 twist. You aren't going to find 1 inch barrel length for every inch of twist. It's the path length the bullet travels that counts.

savageT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.